Is 60HP possible?

Exodus

#91 Post by Exodus »

I didnt necessarly mean every part, but the ones you mentioned for sure. I didnt mean to sound scarcasstic. But instead of going with titanium which is outrageously expensive, how about aluminum. We are talking about ice racing and TT, circle track, your not jumping the bike more than just a few feet if at all, so why not keep with aluminum. It would be alot more economical to go that route instead of ti. The 5 thousand or so dollars you could save would go along ways in motor biulding and tuning. Just a thought.

cannondale27

#92 Post by cannondale27 »

Right.Even the VP Oxy race gas is good for 3 hp easy.I dont remember the name of it but it is nasty and AMA illegal.

Exodus

#93 Post by Exodus »

jwheat, Would that mixer yield a 70 hp motor? Without blowing it to bits?

Would anybody know if thats against the rules in these races?

Sounds like a vaible option if there arent rules against it. I would imagine that biulding such a creature is possible and apparantly somewhat reliable.

Would there be any other fuels that arent against the rules that would yield a more furocious stump puller?

jwheat

#94 Post by jwheat »

Originally posted by Exodus
jwheat,   Would that mixer yield a 70 hp motor?  Without blowing it to bits?  

Would anybody know if thats against the rules in these races?

Sounds like a vaible option if there arent rules against it.  I would imagine that biulding such a creature is possible and apparantly somewhat reliable.

Would there be any other fuels that arent against the rules that would yield a more furocious stump puller?

I don't know exactly how much HP you would gain as I've never put a quad with nitro mixed fuel on a dyno. Also, I would imagine that the use of this fuel would be against the rules of most sanctioned races. Don't know for sure, just guessing.

cannondale27

#95 Post by cannondale27 »

We dont need to worry about the rules since all we need to do is beat the Honda on the dyno.I am very confident that Iceracer could beat or be very competitive with guy on just a stroker motor which he will have by winter for sure.So basicly we just need to build a motor.Swapping motors is no big deal to do for dyno run.

Exodus

#96 Post by Exodus »

If thats the case, this is a thousand dollar project. Just a little meth and a shot of nitrous. LOL

claas900

#97 Post by claas900 »

..I put Ti bolts to hold on my cam gears and the 5 small bolts on the clutch basket..not much,but it is half the weight of steal.
...if its only a TT bike,an aluminum axle would work. I bet we could even make swich cheese out of a stock swingarm,aluminum upper arms would work also...we need to look closer at the Abbits bike for more weight saveing tips.

wanablaze

#98 Post by wanablaze »

I agree with some others for the fact that we should look into the headwork. I think that if we concentrated on the headwork, we already have the pistons and cranks. Titanium valves would be cool if they worked. Whichever manufacturer it may be, it would be cool to have a 432 with 50hp.

Can we lighten the rod by making it knife edged?

Also, would a smaller T.B. (less turbulence) help. Or at least a way to smoothe the inside.

John Thomas

#99 Post by John Thomas »

To get 60 hp all you need is a 54 to 55 hp motor. Then dyno the same motor with an aluminum axle and you should be in the 58 to 60 hp range. The less rotating mass the more hp. Use all titanium bolts on the rear axle assembly and loose another couple of pounds. I know you guys don't like "Winky" but last year when i still had a cdale and was talking to him he said he got 63 hp out of a 460 stroker motor. Could be fact or fiction but that is what he said.

61austin

#100 Post by 61austin »

Originally posted by John Thomas
To get 60 hp all you need is a 54 to 55 hp motor.  Then dyno the same motor with an aluminum axle and you should be in the 58 to 60 hp range.  The less rotating mass the more hp.  Use all titanium bolts on the rear axle assembly and loose another couple of pounds.  I know you guys don't like "Winky" but last year when i still had a cdale and was talking to him he said he got 63 hp out of a 460 stroker motor.  Could be fact or fiction but that is what he said.

Dyno #s can be deceiving on one dyno he could have pulled 63hp but on a different one he could have only got 57, not all dynos are the same. Some motors that pull all the way to the rev limiter can get inaccurate numbers too because I have saw guys running dynos let off before the quad was rapped out also.