Oh boy a new toy

Honda92

#91 Post by Honda92 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Aug 11 2008, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The stupid ktm wont run the lights till the engine is running.

Yeah, well the stupid KTM got out of the tunnel under its own power.... lol

wistech

#92 Post by wistech »

Your going to have to mount your cell phone on the bars so you have a night light. I just ordered a new battery and a set of klaws from Kinney so if you get over there snag them for me.

Honda92

#93 Post by Honda92 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Aug 12 2008, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your going to have to mount your cell phone on the bars so you have a night light. I just ordered a new battery and a set of klaws from Kinney so if you get over there snag them for me.

Yeah I'm not sure if I'll be heading there, I do need a new chain so maybe... I'll be going to promotor tomorrow though. They have a used pilot race sitting there with my name on it, I'll throw that sucker on the tard and see how that works. It seems like when you push that Avon hard it likes to drift out in the front. or maybe it's just the dirt on the blacktop ha, you get that bark buster fixed yet?

wistech

#94 Post by wistech »

It would be nice to Tard a fresh city that doesn't know us yet. If you want to go to Steven's Point I guess we would have to trailer them there. Don't think my behind could take that far on the 2x4 eat. LOL No I haven't fixed the bark buster yet or the mirror mount. I will work on finishing up the cam timing on the new engine and actually do some work to the tard. It almost got washed for the first time yesterday as I drove it home in the rain. Kind of funny how the tards are just s much fun in the wet as the dry.

wistech

#95 Post by wistech »

Time for a new engine. I need to find the manual to see how to drain fluids. LOL I have yet to check or change oil since I got it so the oil is most likely break in oil from the factory. 500 miles at an average hooligan speed of 33mph is 15 hours plus however many miles it had from the races. It will be interesting to see how the stock crank held up. I also noticed the top speed went from 96mph to just over a 100 from the dyno tuning. I really like the ULTIMATE speedometer. Lot bigger screen than the trail tech which is going on a quad. I broke down and actually wasted a few bucks on a aluminum water pump impellar for the new engine. Being a bike and riding slow speeds for prolonged periods it might be a good idea. I also bought a brand new Yuasa ytz7s battery. I did a little crank test on the bench to see just how long that puny thing willcrank over a mega compresion engine and I must say I am impressed. It cranked it for 2 minutes straight without showing any signs of slowing down. I adjusted the decomp with valve lash to drop compresion down to 60 psi to help the little battery crank it.
Well it's time to rip and tear.
I'm more interested to find out the cam timing on the stocker than getting the new engine in. There must be some reason it was such a slug of bike. I noticed the rear tire is wore out already. Mostly from left hand cornering.

wistech

#96 Post by wistech »

Started pulling the engine apart. Cam timing was 108 intake 104 exhaust. HMMM. Cams are perfect 03's . It is truly a motard as it has the motard 5th and bike basket. The basket has the brass bushing. They used blue locktite on the tranny bolts. The 11oclock bolt turned out way to easy but the rest had a little torque on them then all spun out with my fingers. No stud update from the factory. The deep dimpled sleeve has a number in magic marker.31-A The small scavange pump bolts were bolt a couple of turns out. The crank plate had red locktite on the bolts . The sleeve and piston are perfect. There is no wear of any kind in the engine so far. The worst thing I found was te inside clutch friction plate had the tabs folded over badly .That explains the clutch drag.
The crank is for sure the latest ones as it has no machining at all on the pork chops. That would explain its out of balance . Anyone care to make a guess if the rip saw effect and being out of balance with no oil changes has done the dastardly deed on the stock crank bearing. Im going to say its still good. I dont think 20 hours was enough to do this crank in.

wistech

#97 Post by wistech »

Looks like balance means nothin to cage scrub. The rod and crank are still usable. I think i will send this crank off to be balance machined instead of just updated. I think there are more high winding small bores in the future.
Another thing I have noticed is running pure water is bad for valve covers. I dont know how that thing didnt leak as the whole seal edge was gone.
Looks like although the engine was a gutless turd it was a completely salvagable turd. I would bet that it would have run for 50plus hours before something bad would have happened.

thedeatons

#98 Post by thedeatons »

Awesome report!!! I need to update my build thread, as I have put 120 miles on the odometer so far, wheelying like mad around town!

FYI: I use a Cateye bicycle computer (speedometer/odometer) on my E. It works great! For $30 it has two trip meters, an average speed function, speedometer (with big number readout). You can calibrate it (in centimeters) for different tire sizes. The model is the Cateye Enduro 2. Very small unit. I have it mounted between the left grip and clutch lever perch. The only hitches are that you have to buy the extended wiring harness (140cm total length) to reach the front fork leg bottom. That and the fact that the speedo only read to ~74mph. If you want a computer that comes with the longer harness and reads over 100mph, buy the Cateye Astrale, which is less than $50. The Astrale has a cadence function for tracking pedal rpms, but those extra wires/extra sensor can just be clipped/not used.

Overall I am very happy with the speedo, and don't plan on changing it. I have the rev limiter set at 10k, and I don't really care what I am revving on the street. I have not yet hit the limiter, there is so much power I typically short shift while on the back wheel. By the way, my first tank of gas (with the larger E model fuel tank) got me to 90 miles, then I ran out of gas. Since then I have done the tank burp mod, which should allow me to fill up a bit more. In fact that mod worked great at the gas station yesterday. You can hear the tank burping as you fill it!

wistech

#99 Post by wistech »

I have also been using cateye bike computers for many years. They have all the functions but the expensive ones but didnt register above 65mph. Mine were like $18 back in those days but they all still work. Very nice and compact. Since this is a street cruiser I figured get the biggest and brightest dispay possible. The tach and coolant temp functions are cool as well. If I do upgrade my other speedos it will be a cateye astrale.

I was kinda surprized my average speed was 33mph. Its all in town backstreet and parking lot riding. I figured it would be about 20mph.
I wonder if you could flip the tires around on the tards. My left side is almost gone and the middle and right are like new yet. Tonies is simlilar. No wonder they stick like glue in the corners . The rubber is almost a paste on the sides and wears fast. One of the street bike guys was in shock . He never heard of wearing the sides of tires out.LOL

thedeatons

#100 Post by thedeatons »

Never heard of wearing the sides out? He had obviously never visited the So-Cal mountains.... I wore the sides before the middle.... That's what sportbikes are for!!