Indy Dealer Show

kdeal

#91 Post by kdeal »

Steve, funny how you picked a bike article and then complained about the Cannondale parts. There is a not a single Cannnondale part on the motorcycles. The only Cannondale parts are on the quad and then it's just the chassis and some left over parts. Highland has had some fuel issue in the past (previous the sale to the OK guys) and the OK guys went thru a few hoops to get a FI system to use on it. Another article brags about the spot on fuel delivery and how they can make anything work! So who knows at this point. I am having fun just watching it unfold. The bikes will always be too heavy with the SS frame, so I don't think too many will be at the races at the Pro level.

ScramblerXLE

#92 Post by ScramblerXLE »

is SS substancially heavier than Chromoly? I ask because the KTM bikes are feather light and are all still Chromoly chassis

cannondale27

#93 Post by cannondale27 »

Kdeal I know that. I didnt pick the article. I subscribe to that mag and thought the info would directly relate to the Highland quad since the bike uses the Highland motor and fuelinjection. Athough I wonder if they had a Cannondale bike there for the writers to ride? At least they might have gotten some riding in laugh.gif

kdeal

#94 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (ScramblerXLE @ Feb 23 2010, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is SS substancially heavier than Chromoly? I ask because the KTM bikes are feather light and are all still Chromoly chassis

Scrambler,

Chromoly was the choice of pros (some cases it still is). Example would be dune chassis and any custom work. Chromoly is way stronger than any other steel being used and aluminum. Aluminum is way lighter but you have to use a bunch more to get any strength. Thats why you see the hugh spars on aluminum frames. It's also why so many current frames use a mix of aluminum and steel. Most frames before aluminum that were OEM were made of mild steel. You had to use a thicker gauge to get any strength at all, it cracks easily (hence the need for gussets). Chromoloy is pretty much used by the aftermarket to make frames lighter and stronger. Think handlebar evolution. First we had mild steel (OEM garbage), then the aftermarket brought out chromoly (stronger, lighter), then aluminum (lighter but more mass). Rule of thumb: aluminum is about 50% lighter than steel, but you need more to make it as strong. ANd the cost is much higher.

jesshamner

#95 Post by jesshamner »

I understand the calling out of a company for outrageous HP claims. But you all are acting like all the other companies never make outlandish claims. Remember when the yfz was 50 lbs lighter than everything else? Yamaha used wet weights for other machines and dry weight for the yfz. Its no different. Don't get me started on EPA fuel economy numbers for automobiles. And you say there is no way this "production bike" can make the HP numbers that you're making with the Cannondale motor. You are forgetting that these are not like production bikes from Yamaha or Honda. They are purpose built race bikes. I'm guessing that they are already worked internally. So maybe 69 is a little high. But why are you trying to hold this company to a higher standard than any other new manufacturer? Because they use a Cannondale chassis? I just don't get it. Why all the hostility? Give them a chance. So what if they have transplanted a highland motor in our beloved quad. None of you have seen this run in person and can't disprove any of the their claims. Until then, keep an open mind but don't kill a new company with slander before they ever have a reliable working model. You guys kill me sometimes. There is so much hatred on this forum.

We all know that the Cannondale has the potential to be just as reliable, if not more reliable than the 400ex. But Cannondale never could over come the negative stereotype. And we still haven't even with the strides that YOU ALL (the haters) have made. I don't know, maybe you're just trying to pick on the new guy like you got picked on when Cannondale was the new guy. But for the love of god, don't make a decision about something until you have experienced it. Otherwise, leave this forum and go hang out at atvriders.com with all the other 13 year olds.

Rant over!

kdeal

#96 Post by kdeal »

Amen!

I told everyone at the Dealer Show that I would take the heat on this one, as no one wanted to talk about it on the forums. 10 different guys and I stepped up because I have seen it all here before.....

I am not sold yet, but the motor peaks my interest. I will be keeping an eye out, but I will not be buying one in the near future. Does that make me a hater too? ohmy.gif

jesshamner

#97 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 23 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amen!

I told everyone at the Dealer Show that I would take the heat on this one, as no one wanted to talk about it on the forums. 10 different guys and I stepped up because I have seen it all here before.....

I am not sold yet, but the motor peaks my interest. I will be keeping an eye out, but I will not be buying one in the near future. Does that make me a hater too? ohmy.gif

You're the biggest hater on here....j/k. Everything is speculation at this point. Everyone is taking a side about this thing before its out. They barely have a working model and nobody has even seen the 507 quad yet.

MX Quad Dad

#98 Post by MX Quad Dad »

[quote name='peterock' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:25 AM' post='215648']
To be honest. If these guys in OK were smart, they would distance themselves as far as they can from the cannondale name and cannondale community. Majority of people on here are too dedicated to cannondale to accept anything that may remotely resemble a cannondale.

If I were them, I would advise all employees that even mentioning the name cannondale is grounds for termination. Especially if mentioned to a vendor or after market company that is looking to make some components for them.
[/quote

I would disagree, there are two type of quad buyers. dedicated jap brand buyers and exotic. so they can get some records on who had purchased dales, KTM's, erasers and maybe Can-am's. look into what they want in a quad. Cannondale suposedably talked to a lot of 250r and ex owners. and forgot to ask one major question "would you buy it if it wasn't the honda brand".

And I believe all wistech is saying, is to be a fair dyno comparison they need to be done on the same dyno with the same operator and on the same day as close to the same time as possible. and with a witness or two would be nice. I'm not calling them a liar or anything and even though i would probubly never sell my dale's, I seriously doubt I would buy a new exotic quad. my son doesn't race anymore and I would probubly hurt myself with any more HP anyway.

UpsMan

#99 Post by UpsMan »

I hope these guys come out with a great quad that kicks *** and we can all afford to buy one. I would love to buy a great american quad, instead of a polaris, which is an american quad, but great? no. In fact, compared to my outdated atk, the polaris is a pile of ****. The sad thing is, I might buy another polaris this year. Why? Because I'm sick.

Dachshund

#100 Post by Dachshund »