Had a set back today

cdalerider75

Had a set back today

#1 Post by cdalerider75 »

Ok so got the bike back together, started the motor.... and this time there was a strong/loud klacking sound comming from the top end. So I got on the phone with Wistech trying to get some input on what the noise could be. Basicly in the end.. Wistech suggested was to mute the clutch cover so I could hear where the sound was comming from better or re-drop the motor and double check..

Now the motor was runnning fine... just had this klacking sound in the top end.

So after talking to Wistech I restarted the motor.. it ran for about a min then died....

I turnned the key and the motor went to turn over... but it only did a half a crank and came to a dead stop...

Yes I did have a good battery.. fully charged

Well it looks like tomorrow I am going to drop the motor.. and have a look at the top end...

Fun, fun, fun.......NOT!!

BTW... before today I had started and let the motor run... just today it had that klacking sound...

Any suggestions? Has anyone had this happen to them after a rebuild???

:cry:

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

It has happened before I am sure.No point in beating yourself up over it you will just have to start inspecting.Starting with easy things first.Try checking valves through exhaust.

Cdale_racer_669

#3 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

doing stuff over sux:( :mad:

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Yea do to old age,3kids and a dog running around my garage it took me 3 checks just to figure out what shims I needed before I went to shop to get em.Thats why even after many motors I still say a prayer and giggle like a kid in candy store everytime one works out good.While back I did a stage8 for a guy 8 bolts laying in motor!Put it all back together started it up only to find that there was no oil pressure.Counter balancer shaft had sheared off from so many bolts being out.Meant total removal of motor and total teardown.Helped me too walk away from it for a week till I got in a better mood.Could have puked over that one.
Who knows maybe you just forgot how much noise motors make and there is just a loose cable.A low idle will also produce lots of unusual noise.Try and think positive.If not take a break for a while.Having doubts about your work is a sign of a good mechanic since one who doubts will catch things others will miss.

pdavis

#5 Post by pdavis »

cd27, i probably would bust a gut laughing listening to you "giggle like a school girl"

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey Pdavis I think I heard you giggling like that after Jay got yours going at spring ride:D

quadman22

#7 Post by quadman22 »

chris i just heared from mike that u dropped a valve again and cracked ur piston:( no wayyy... what happened?