Nitro-propane

jwheat

Nitro-propane

#1 Post by jwheat »

Has anyone here ever tried a nitro-propane additive in the Cannondale? If so what were the results and what did you end up setting you injector off-set and flowrate at to make it work?

Cdale_racer_669

#2 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

R&D anyone?smile.gif

jwheat

#3 Post by jwheat »

I'll do some R & D with it next month. I'm going to Little Sahara,OK at the end of this month and don't want to take a chance of damaging my motor since my spare engine is finished yet.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I still want someone to try one of those ZAX nitro kits.Should be a basic job to hook that up using TPS for trigger.Man this stuff is cool but expensive!

jwheat

#5 Post by jwheat »

Nitro-propane is a liquid additive to the fuel that uses Nitro with propanol. It mixes with gas whereas nitromethane does not. It does not actually burn. It breaks down at above 500 degrees F in the cylinder and releases extra oxygen. It raises the specific gravity of fuel from around .75 to around .95. You have to run your settings extra rich to compensate for the extra oxygen. When mixed correctly, it is good for a 10-15% HP boost. The dangers are extra heat and detonation if the mixture is too lean.

J. Delaney

#6 Post by J. Delaney »

Where do you get this stuff?

61austin

#7 Post by 61austin »

Klotz makes it with piston lube already mixed in. I believe the website is klotzlube.com

Normantwo2cool

#8 Post by Normantwo2cool »

Jwheat was spot on.

Another additive that I find much easier to deal with is propylene oxide. I mix it all the time and at times up to 20%.

It ads extra oxygen directly to your fuel. I never used it in a injected quad though. On bikes I usually run one main jet higher.

It really helps with low to mid range power. I have made close over 4 hp on a 450f with propylene oxide, toluene mix.

We have been running it for years and have never lost a motor that we can attribute to a fuel were mixing.

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

Norman! This is Sean Briselden, I talked to you on the phone earlier. Welcome to the site. Glad to see you made it over. The thread I mentioned before is the opinions thread under the powertrain section.

J. Delaney

#10 Post by J. Delaney »

Dales don't run hot. The fan just comes on early.