Getting better all the time!!!

Brad Oakley

Getting better all the time!!!

#1 Post by Brad Oakley »

Well - I had an interesting Thursday. As many of you know, I've been working on a new pipe for the 'dale. It was completed and ready for testing. We put my moto on the dyno to compare the new pipe performance to the FMF Titanium system that came originally on the quad.

My moto has a WWE race 450cc kit in it, and a ported head with re-angled injectors. Everything else is pretty much stock. I ran the stock moto map on premium no-lead. The testing was done at about sea-level on a 70 degree day. With the FMF system we were putting out 42 HP to the wheels. With the new pipe we put 42 HP to the wheels with the open pipe, and 40 with the quiet core.

Here's where it got interesting. The last two times that this dyno was used with a Cannondale was three years ago. They put a motorcycle on it and it seized on the first pull. Then they put a Trinity race-prepped quad on it. After three pulls (31 average HP) the engine detonated. Let me explain what a 'pull' is... The quad is warmed up and then it is placed in 4th gear, wheels spinning on the acceleration drum at 3000 RPM. When ready, the throttle is held wide open until the rev limiter is hit at 11700 RPM. The computer then calculates the HP from the speed at which the drum accelerates. As you can guess, it is VERY hard on an engine!

Over the course of the afternoon we did 43 pulls! The engine came off the stand running as smoothly as it went on! The dyno operators were amazed - and a little scared! Normally 4 straps are used to hold a quad on the dyno. After the first three pulls, they added two more straps and a large brace at the front of the quad. Even then, no one would stand in front of the quad during a pull. It accelerated so hard that it looked like it was about to come off the stand every time the throttle was hit!

The operators were VERY impressed with how solid the 'dale motor was (My thanks to Cord at ATK - he built this engine for me!) Like I said, these 'dales are getting better all the time!

Cdale_racer_669

#2 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

nice, good to hear that:head: :usa :clap: smile.gif

jwheat

#3 Post by jwheat »

Good post Brad!

J. Delaney

#4 Post by J. Delaney »

Brad, when you gonna get a stroker on that dyno?

Brad Oakley

#5 Post by Brad Oakley »

Blackwidow is putting in the order for its own dyno this week! In June when a bunch of guys from back east come out to ride, we'll hopefully have several different engine configurations to try.We'll let you know!

Here are some photos from the test.

Brad Oakley

#6 Post by Brad Oakley »

Close up of the head pipe. It's fully ceramic coated to keep heat from building up under the quad

Brad Oakley

#7 Post by Brad Oakley »

Just one of the quad on the dyno

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

Good report. The pipe looks good. I think you could add some flair to it with annodized ends kind of like the white bros. I like the somewhat square shape. Reminiscent (sp) of the toaster biggrin.gif Nice lawnmower tires!

wanablaze

#9 Post by wanablaze »

Congrats, Brad.
I've seen that exhaust before! In dirtwheels' August 2004 ATK 450 test? Good numbers, I'd love to see the power curves, if you had copies of the dyno runs?wink.gif

Just out of curiousity, why 43 pulls? Bragging rights? lol.

Brad Oakley

#10 Post by Brad Oakley »

Those are GOLF CART tires to you, Mister!
Here is an end view. Is that the anodizing you were referring to?