Little Sahara Report

jwheat

Little Sahara Report

#1 Post by jwheat »

Well.....we made it back in one piece(or we almost did)! After a full week of jumping women and looking at dunes....uh....I mean jumping dunes and looking at women, we finally came home. We blew up one YFZ motor, one Cannondale motor (unfortunately mine), blew out one LT Olhins shock (also unfortunately mine), and broke one Cannondale axle ( fortunately not mine biggrin.gif ). That's not too bad for 28 people and bikes over 7 days of duning! The weather was great, the riding great, the food was great and the bourbon was of the finest quality! :drink:

We had one major accident but no serious injuries. While we're jumping Buttercup for our millions of fans (ok....47 people and a dog) this dumbass in a dune buggy, who had been watching us jump, decided to impress his female passenger by burning across the dune in front of us. Needless to say, Jay landed his Cannondale in the cockpit of the buggy and took a nasty tumble. Luckily, he only sprained his wrist and got a couple of bruises and the driver of the buggy got nasty 3" cut to the bone on his right shin.

I must say that I finally found out how to break a Moto axle.......jump off the top of a 70' dune and land on an idiot in a black dune buggy!rolleyes.gif

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

dude, jumping buttercup? Is you nuts??!! And you guys hit a buggy?? gotta have someone at the top waving you on.

Cdale_racer_669

#3 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

wat happened to yur engine

yamadjs08

#4 Post by yamadjs08 »

Im sure it was a pretty good time, besides hitting a buggy and the other mishaps. Lets see some pics of the carnage???sad.gif :drink:

KRMit

#5 Post by KRMit »

I was going to jump right behind Jay. I noticed Jwheat run down the hill and knew something had to be wrong. We really had a blast out there. I can't wait until we go again next year. The dunes intimidated me at first and I kept finding myself getting stuck on the hills but I got used to it pretty quick. There were several of us jumping, a few of us were getting about halfway down Buttercup. A few of us went on a night ride the last night we were there and tried jumping Buttercup at night. That's a weird feeling!! You can see where you take off from, but once you are in the air everything is black underneath you until you hit the ground.

There were plenty of pics taken and I'll post some as soon as I pick out the best.

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

I LOVE the soft stuff with the trees over near cowboy camp. That is some of the most fun at LS.

Are you guys nuts jumping Buttercup? Go find a better jumping dune. Buttercup has too many people sitting at the top and riding the back side to be safe.

As for going next year??? We head out there in September. smile.gif

KRMit

#7 Post by KRMit »

Originally posted by Happyboy
I LOVE the soft stuff with the trees over near cowboy camp.  That is some of the most fun at LS.

Are you guys nuts jumping Buttercup?  Go find a better jumping dune.  Buttercup has too many people sitting at the top and riding the back side to be safe.

As for going next year???  We head out there in September.  :)

We usually had someone at the top of the dune watching to make sure there were no collisions. The duny buggy was just a freak thing. Our group always goes Memorial Day weekend, although this was my first time to go.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

And how did the dale do? First time riding it really hard for the week?

KRMit

#9 Post by KRMit »

And how did the dale do?  First time riding it really hard for the week?

I'd say I'm used to it now. The suspension could stand to be a little softer but it soaked up the jumps pretty well. It's an awesome quad! Held up pretty good for the weekend too. My only complaint is 5th gear. I just can't seem to pull it. Nod in that sand anyway.

jwheat

#10 Post by jwheat »

dude, jumping buttercup?  Is you nuts??!!  And you guys hit a buggy??  gotta have someone at the top waving you on.

We did have a spotter.....ME! The dune buggy was sitting still watching us when I looked and when I turned to wave Jay on, the buggy came burning up the side of the dune. By the time I realized it, Jay was topping the dune and it was tool late.