Why can Ducati use Magnesium Cam Covers?

GDITheman

Why can Ducati use Magnesium Cam Covers?

#1 Post by GDITheman »

Why can Ducati use Magnesium Cam Covers? Do they use evans from the factory or is there something else in the design that allows them to use the mag covers?

CptHook

#2 Post by CptHook »

Im just throwing dust to the wind I have no actual facts, just making some guesses, but perhaps for a few different reasons? Maybe they have perfected a coating like cannondale tried to do with theirs on the later 03 models to protect the magnesium. Or maybe there is no need to worry for them, coollant pump could be a completely different design or location. Location is really what kills ours. If it werent for the fact that our impellar and pump assembly rests half over the case and half over the cam cover then it wouldnt matter if our covers were magnesium, because its only that one spot on the cover where the coolant pump sits that we have to worry about. Just my .02

CannondaleRider

#3 Post by CannondaleRider »

Yeah, I bet the pumps in a different location:)

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

I'm with him ^^^ Magnesium works just fine, just not in a cooling system with ethyl based coolant & aluminum.

Cdale_racer_669

#5 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

ya the z400 uses one, the yzf dirtbikes, those are the ones ive seen, a lot of people use them.

BigJosh

#6 Post by BigJosh »

Ducati's are oil cooled thus the reson why they can magnesium valve covers with no issues....