Unicorn II motor?

cannondale27

Unicorn II motor?

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

There are alot of changes and efforts that Cannondale made to make better quads that are unknown or very rare.Lots that nobody can know effects of because obviously we arent fortune tellers.I cant say for sure but I think I have found a Unicorn II motor!Warren 557 brought his late 03 moto over for some tuning.This thing is well used and raced A class all signs of very high hard hours are there.Was Cannondale closer than ever to perfection in end?I think so.Finds:

SSM Case=Has the radioused corners,No motor mount update.If this case didnt crack with use he gives it by now I am a believer in that one.Also his engine cradle has never cracked.Leads me to believe the radioused corners or something else worked.

Internals=Has stud update original,possibly balanced crank AND a balanced (matched)flywheel.

Frame=not too uncommon but has a welded bung where headlight mounting tabs used to be.

This quad was delivered after factory closing but before bankruptcy.ser#5b6ed31373b000006
Just think 2 full years of racing nothing done to motor and just 1 crack in swingarm.What more could you ask for?He is going to go for more power now with it.But really the quad has paid itself off.From now on everything has got to be considered a bonus.We will never really know for sure what the magic combination is and quest for more power will never end.But this one had it right from factory.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is a pic of flywheel with a normal one to left.This winter we will see what crank is like.But mainbearing is still nice and tight.In meantime I just told him to go win some races:D

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Radioused cases pic.Seems like these are really holding up.I noticed the Glamises all have them and moto all late 03 deliveries.Not all have balanced cranks and flywheels though.Mine did not.Did the balancing save cases from cracking at mount without update or was it the radiouses?I dont know but it seemed to work.Pic is my motor and has a motor mount update.Warren 557's did not have motor mount update.No cracks in cradle or motor.Was this actually the mystical 04 motor?

quadman22

#4 Post by quadman22 »

good question... when me and chris were looking at my motor we noticed that i had a radiused case. This case is brand new and i got it from brad so i would guess that it is an ATK case. Now i have the motor mount update but havent put it in yet. since it is a radius case is it even neccesary to put it in? we discussed how maybe they are doing the radius now because it prevents the cracking.

CannondaleRider

#5 Post by CannondaleRider »

On that flywheel, on the center part....its looks different, is there something there to keep it from spinning.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

I would still use it since we cant be 100% sure whether balanced crank or the radious fixed problem of mounts and cradles cracking.Could be a combination of both.Obviously not worth taking risk over.Be a shame to be wrong.Just another Insurance policy.

theJeStEr1340

#7 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Originally posted by CannondaleRider
On that flywheel, on the center part....its looks different, is there something there to keep it from spinning.

It does look like it doesn't it?

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

The flywheel on left is mine.It has those pins in it from Canniboomer.Prevent it from ever spinning.

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

A buddy of mine,has a cdale with fx400 plastic,old swingarm with hole in it, I think its a fx frame looking at the arms mount but not sure on this one? At one time had mc500 ECU. But bike has SSM case with a hole drilled in the flywheel im guessing it was for balanced?
He just bought the bike and was getting tons of metal in the filter,prevous own said motor was just gone threw..long story short. Tock motor out ,apart found nothing wrong i think crank was even balanced..were guessing the prevous own didnt fluch the frame out..fun fun

CannondaleRider

#10 Post by CannondaleRider »

Originally posted by cannondale27
The flywheel on left is mine.It has those pins in it from Canniboomer.Prevent it from ever spinning.

Yeah, I knew that, but the flywheel on the bike looks different....maybe its just rusted or something:eek: