Polaris

Exodus

Polaris

#1 Post by Exodus »

Talking about the new quads for 06, I havent seen anybody talk about the new polaris sport quad with independent rear suspension. I think its called the Outlaw. Quite the concept, to bad the yamaha is hogging all the magizines.

CHAINSAW

#2 Post by CHAINSAW »

a kinda-local dealer around here went and rode them for some Polaris dealers meeting thing. They said they rode them hard in trails, and it handles and rides better then anything else they have ever rode. I think its a cool concept, and would be a good duner!!

badvox

Re: Polaris

#3 Post by badvox »

Originally posted by Exodus
Talking about the new quads for 06, I havent seen anybody talk about the new polaris sport quad with independent rear suspension.  I think its called the Outlaw.  Quite the concept, to bad the yamaha is hogging all the magizines.

This months ATV Sport has an article / test ride on it. Of course the Raptor 700 test ride report is in there too.

~mike

KRMit

#4 Post by KRMit »

The Outlaw and Raptor are probably the two best trail quads out now. I'd be first to grab a Raptor before trusting the Polaris name myself.

GDITheman

#5 Post by GDITheman »

i like the polaris pred better than the old raptor. polaris is doing a good job with the preds. i hope they continue to evolve the preds and outlaws into something lighter. the suspension on the tld pred is great. it looks like they are using quality suspension parts and good concepts for the outlaw. i hope it works for them.

just think, in 5 or 10 years riding a solid axle quad my be OLD SCHOOL.

KRMit

#6 Post by KRMit »

Originally posted by GDITheman
just think, in 5 or 10 years riding a solid axle quad my be OLD SCHOOL.

I wouldn't go that far. I can definately see the benefits of IRS on trail quads, but it still has drawbacks.

The first one being weight, but hopefully they can overcome this with new technology in the future.

Next would be cost. Now instead of replacing one shock you have to replace two (although most rear singles cost as much as two fronts for some reason), instead of getting a longer axle you have to replace two sets of a-arms.

It's easy enough to get an extended or shorter swingarm if needed for your application (drag racing for example), but how would you lengthen the IRS setup?

The reviews state that body roll isn't as bad as you would expect in the Outlaw, but I'm sure it's still considerably more than a solid axle.

Basically I think IRS is awesome in a trail machine, but has no place on a track.

Exodus

#7 Post by Exodus »

I no more than posted this thread and a friend of mine handed me a copy of the mag. I am impressed, that is quite the concept.

A couple years back, I was flipping through an old mag even then and came accross one of the first IRS quads. The fella who owns strong arm biult a banshee that had IRS, and it was pretty impressive even then. I cant remember what he would charge for one, but it was a ton. He used Elkas all the way around if I remember correctly, and had like 12 some inches of travel. I wish I knew where I put that mag.