Over Heating

Cannondale88

Over Heating

#1 Post by Cannondale88 »

Do I need a new Impeller?....It over heats...and starts running like crap...

Exodus

#2 Post by Exodus »

Hold up a min, I got a question for you before I give an opinion. Have you changed the water in it recently? If so, you could have an air pocket in the water pump, easy fix, turn it up on end and wiggle it for a couple min. That will work the air into the hose.

If that doesnt fix the problem, then lets see if the impellar is pumping water. This will take a couple of hands to do but, to check if the water pump is working. Pull the hose that runs off of the water pump to radiator off at the radiator. Dump the water out of the hose, then hold the hose away from the bike pointed up a little, then crank the bike over, let it start. If you get water pumping out of the hose, then the impellar is probably ok. If you get just a trickle, you got probs with the impellar. Obviously, dont let it run more than just a few seconds so you dont risk an overheat. It will get hot fairly quick. If over heating worries you, take a jug of LUKE WARM water, OR coolant out with you, as soon as you shut the bike off, poor the coolant back down the hose, it will travel back to the cylinder and keep it cool.

Cannondale88

#3 Post by Cannondale88 »

Thanks

Jaybr

#4 Post by Jaybr »

An easy way to check if you have flow is just warm it up and with motor running grab both coolant hoses coming off the motor, they should both be warm.

If coolant isn't flowing properly, one hose will be cool, the other hot.

Exodus

#5 Post by Exodus »

Ahhhh, or you could do what Jay said and that would tell you without doing anything.

Thats so obvious, I gotta say I'm an idiot.:eek:

Cannondale88

#6 Post by Cannondale88 »

lol, you just find everything...and think of everything but the little stuff...and Its not over heating...anymore..

Exodus

#7 Post by Exodus »

Great news!:clap: