Dales at the Flat Track

BigJosh

Dales at the Flat Track

#1 Post by BigJosh »

Well I have good news and bad news. First we were invited to a flat track by a friend of ours who is a national rider. He threw a party had about 30 bikes and only about 10 quads 2 of them dales. Started of real good. Did a couple warm up laps. was fast as you know what. Ill give more details in a few. Im at work trying not to do anything....To be continued......

BigJosh

#2 Post by BigJosh »

Ok continue.....Well three of us went out just flying around this track its just under a half mile track. It was the first time i have ever flat tracked on a quad, so i was out there just getting use to how it felt. About 3 laps into running around hard the guy I bought my dale off was riding a custom polaris with an HDC frame, all the goodies 468 the whole nine. Well going down the backstraight, motor locked up. I seen him pull off and look at the thing. So I was a bit concerned because i had been pegging my rev limiter every straight. So we continued. Now just two dales out flying around this perfect track. So after about 10 laps I come pulling in and ask a guy who has worked on the dales in the past. i asked abou the rev limiter. I was using 4th about 3/4 to half the whole time. I tried 5th but lost to much rpm's in the turns. So we go out for the second time. Now using 4th is working well. Im not sure what the heck was going on. So about 15 or so laps into it My buddie was in front of me on his dale with the 450 kit in it. When it happened.........:confused: .......I saw his back tires lock up and thought oh sssssshhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiii............yep it locked up. I pulled back in to the infield and his wife and others had thought he had wrecked but thank god no. So the flat track proved to be a bit much for the quads. Mine I hope is still ok at least it was when it went on the trailer. I just thought maybe i could get some input on why i was pegging the rev limiter so much. maybe i need a differant map or something......Oh yea after I watched both my buddies blow theres up We started another race. First to kill the keg.......It was a photo finish..tongue.gif

theJeStEr1340

#3 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

What map and rev limiter were you an dyour buddies running?

BigJosh

#4 Post by BigJosh »

Im running the moto map not sure where my rev limiter is set excatly. My bud who blew up is running a nac's map not sure where his rev limiter is set.

toothandnail

#5 Post by toothandnail »

You need different gearing , your map is not the problem unless there is a power or traction issue . Any one who is banging the rev limiter constantly is asking for trouble , a 400 ex maybe ok , but any high preformance 4 stk is not going to be well after continued rev limiter banging ,:hammer: :hammer: SHIFT!!!! Your only going slower ,power drops off well before the limiter is hit

BigJosh

#6 Post by BigJosh »

Good point

Brad Oakley

#7 Post by Brad Oakley »

Do I understand that you were running redline in fourth - but fifth was geared too tall for the corners?

First piece of advice: Don't change the map. I'm a big fan of the Moto map. Without going into the details, it's one of the main reasons that your engine didn't have problems!

Secondly - Have you thought about putting the 'motard' fifth gear set in? It brings the ratio down into a usuable range for this kind of racing. It also makes it so that your shifts are exactly the same through all five gears (no more feeling of going into overdrive when you hit fifth.)

I have the gear sets in stock. They run $200.00 for the pair ($54.00 under list price!) Let me know if I can help.

theJeStEr1340

#8 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

I definately recomend the motard 5th gear. It is in my bike and I had to race my dads bike this weekend, wow what a difference!

When my motor was stock I tended to stick with the stock combo maps. I really liked the motospeed map, or maybe it was the speed moto. The only map I would run that wasn't a combo map was the Zack 2 map, but run it at your own risk it does have a high rev limiter.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes these guys are right on in their advice.Only thing I can add is that a stroker/ported motor will let you pull 5th on the 1/2mile without the Super Motard gear.Otherwise you need to run really high gearing like 14-37 or maybe more depending on traction.I am thinking of getting the Super Motard gears also now though since my Dale is just being raced.Since even with stroker you can "feel"the shift from 4th to 5th.However if doing any trail riding or anywhere where really long highspeed runs are around I wouldnt do it.

theJeStEr1340

#10 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

I run 15 38 with my ported stroker.