advice on building a work bench

cdalerider75

advice on building a work bench

#1 Post by cdalerider75 »

Ok.. so I am now a month into my house and it is time for me to build a work bench. What I am looking for is advice, suggestions, photos and tips.

The work bench is mainly going to be used as a general purpose, perhaps a motor or two here and there. Not looking to break the bank, just build a bench that is going to be functional and sturdy.

One feature that I would like to build into this bench is cutout area that has a metal mesh cover. This feature would be useful when opening a motor, oil can just flow into the mesh screen and into a bucket area.

also what would be a good vice to purchase, one that doesn't break the bank

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Forget the mesh cover . Get a very heavy galvanized sheet metal top custom made for it . Have it made to curl down over the edge and under the bench. A local sheel metal /heating and cooling shop can make them for you. The mesh cover will be a pain and you willl loose lots of tiny little parts in it.

bowhunter74

#3 Post by bowhunter74 »

Go to a farm auction to find a vice. Look for one that is old and heavy. The ones they make today are all junk, I've broke a few.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

If a drain area is important to you, put in a cheap ss sink and leave the drain in until you have counted all you parts.

Mjollnir

#5 Post by Mjollnir »

I built mine just for me. Bend your arm 90 degrees at your elbow and measure from the floor to an inch or so below your hand. That's where you want your work surface.

I used 2x4s for the top of mine, made sure to get straight ones, and screwed in the first one then used pipe clamps to get the next one in good and tight before screwing it in. Makes for a very sturdy work surface, and if it ever gets chewed up to the point of being unusable, it is very cheap and easy to replace. Just unscrew the bad boards, and screw in new ones in their places.

Marc

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

I built mine out of 2X6s on the frame and then MDF for the top surface. Worked great until I got liquids on it. I will be putting some plain laminate on the top of it with a back splash. That way liquids wipe right up and parts won't fall off the back.

Brad Oakley

#7 Post by Brad Oakley »

I've had very good luck with Wilton vices. Of course, they're not cheap, but I've never broken one, either!

MX Quad Dad

#8 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I use a piece of cardboard on the dinning room table in the basement, Its about 14 feet away from my big sceen TV.

RoooStEr Pops

#9 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

Kitchen counter for me that way i can cook and do the motors at the same time :drink:

theJeStEr1340

#10 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Originally posted by RoooStEr Pops
Kitchen counter for me that way i can cook and do the motors at the same time :drink:

We have pitures....