security suggestions???

myEXgotstolen

security suggestions???

#1 Post by myEXgotstolen »

hey all, i'm a newb here, but not to quads in general... i had an 03 400ex that got stolen last september. now, i'm looking at getting another quad, but want to make sure that the past won't repeat itself. the only place i have right now to store a bike is in my shed, which has 1 regular sized door, and a pair of barn doors... when the EX got stolen, all that was locked was the shed itself. what are some other security measures i can take to ensure the safety of my quad in the future?? thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas :eek:

twisted

#2 Post by twisted »

In your bed with a 12 gauge.

myEXgotstolen

#3 Post by myEXgotstolen »

already thought of that one. how about some realistic, halfway practical ideas?

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

It all depends on how much you want to spend on security. You could do anything from locking it up with a chain, to cameras and an alarm. I suggest maybe one of those hunting cameras and maybe one of those cheap alarms on the doors. Maybe a chain or cable.

myEXgotstolen

#5 Post by myEXgotstolen »

what hunting camera are you talking aobut?? i was planning on buying the kryptonite new york chain thats supposedly basically indestructible.... i'd be willing to spend a few hundred on other things. do you have any links to the camera? thanks

badvox

#6 Post by badvox »

To me it all depends on how many thieves you want to stop.
Meaning the old rule applies here. If they want it bad enough YOU cannot stop them.

Now then. The brake disc locks are pretty cool for anywhere from 50 to 100 bones. They would not be able to roll it away but if they have a truck and enough people they could always just lift it.

As a combo for you I would do this.

Get a 2 part security setup. Brake Disc Lock and a high quality chain and lock and lock it to a footing and lag that you could cement in to the floor. :-)

Or you could core a big hook lag into the concrete if you have it.

Minimum though Brake Disc Lock

~mike

61austin

#7 Post by 61austin »

Get one of those cable locks and some insurance, my insurance is only a little over $100 a year per quad.

myEXgotstolen

#8 Post by myEXgotstolen »

i'd love to get insurance, but i haven't been able to find a company that offers atv insurance in MA...thats why i'm tryin to learn as much about this as possible...that way i won't need the insurance :-)

cdalemx301

#9 Post by cdalemx301 »

HEy hate to break it to you but as of 3yrs ago you cannot get ATV insurance in MA. I have tried and a few others on here have tried it doesn't exist. My gf's mom is an insurance agent so we know it doesnt exist. As for security I am not to sure as I don't need to deal with that in my area really but I will try and think some stuff up for you.

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

Originally posted by myEXgotstolen
what hunting camera are you talking aobut?? i was planning on buying the kryptonite new york chain thats supposedly basically indestructible.... i'd be willing to spend a few hundred on other things. do you have any links to the camera? thanks

http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/stealthcamera.html Here is one. They get much more expensive and come with a lot more features.