Need some Cannondale Advice!!

Quadhauler

Need some Cannondale Advice!!

#1 Post by Quadhauler »

Looking at getting into an 03 Cannondale. Curious about a number of things. Basically I am looking for a duner. If the Cannibal has a pipe, new mappings, shocks, is it basically the same as a Speed? Did they put different engines in the different models or is it basically the same core bike with different setups? Tell me about maintenance? This bike is supposed to have been remapped and had the stage 8 kit done, what else should be done towards keeping it reliable? If it hasn't gernaded yet is that a good sign it won't soon smile.gif Should I talk myself out of this? HELP!

twisted

#2 Post by twisted »

Cannondales are fast machines. Alot of people are scared of them because they have been givin a bad name but people who dont know what they are doing.

All you need in maintenance, keep your air filter clean, oil change every 10hours dependiing no how hard you ride, tranny change every 20 (second oil change). Oil filter every 2nd change, and just look out for shavings.

Cannondales are all the same motor, with different mapping and maybe pipes. Moto and blaze have different setups.

Nice quads, 450 killers when built right.

Quadhauler

#3 Post by Quadhauler »

Is there anything besides the oil changes and stage 8 kit that needs to be done to keep the engine together? I've read Z400 bearings and other stuff. What about valve adjustments? Cam Chain?? Don't know if it even has a cam chain? So basically stay on top of the maintenance and you have a killer 450 type quad? What about parts? any trouble getting anything? I read they have some electrical issues too, does the aftermarket wiring harness really cure those?

twisted

#4 Post by twisted »

If you want to take the motor out right away, do the necessary updates, z400rod bearing, decomp, crank and all that just t be safe.

Alot of people ride them till they go boom witch is a lil more expensive to fix.

Quadhauler

#5 Post by Quadhauler »

decomp??, crank?? and all that?? Tell me more please! So basically what you are telling me is that it is a ticking time bomb even with the stage 8?

CDaleChick

#6 Post by CDaleChick »

not necessarily a ticking time bomb. My quad is an early 2002 model with just a stage 8 update and all it has needed was a new top end a couple of years ago. The reliability updates are to prevent bad things from happening.

banzairx7

#7 Post by banzairx7 »

I'm no expert but from what I've been able to gather the 03's are the worst on cranks. They are pretty much unbalanced from the factory. To make it bullet proof would take balancing the crank and putting in a z400 bearing.

It needs the motor mount update which is just a spacer between the two front engine mounts.

The decomp. is the starting decompression mechanism. They are way loose from the factory and can hit the cam caps and explode. I think on some of them the pivot was a bit shakey too.

The valve cover should be replaced. They are magnesium and corrode away allowing coolant into the engine. Aluminum ones are now available for $140.

Some people say the factory valves are weak and the spring pressure is to weak. I don't hear to much on people losing engines this way though. Not that it doesn't happen.

I like to change my oil filter every oil change. It gives me a chance to catch if something is going wrong(metal bits in the filter). For a few bucks why do more damage to your engine by running it longer?

These are just my observations from lurking on the forum. I'm sure others much more informed will chime in and give you more details.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

the decomp is more of a "check it" update. Its a wear item that if too loose it can break apart. Some of them came loose from the factory and got way loose fairly quick. As long as its a good fit then its not an item to worry about. just check it out on your normal tear down inspection.