Im going crazy

aroracer72

Im going crazy

#1 Post by aroracer72 »

heres my mount design to install a 250r dirtbike engine into our frames...with no welding and cutting of the frame. And the frame can be used for a dale engine again when ever desired!!!!!....tell me if you can understand my drawing...if not...ill explain it more.
Chad

walsh450rmx21

#2 Post by walsh450rmx21 »

i dont really understand ur drawing but i really caint read the writing. but why do u wanna put the motor in it any ways ?

aroracer72

#3 Post by aroracer72 »

Lemme think........50hp........325pds......simple motor...jsut have a spare dale frame sitting in teh basement anyways.......CAUSE ITS POSSIBLE!!!>........i msut try it.....the bike literally hauls...it smokes all the local quad people and smokes stock 450's(bikes)...soo i wanna stuff it into a quad frame.

And explaining my drawing better...only focus on the bottom pic.....the little key i made...the first one says steel plate, second one says solid chunk of metal, and third says dale frame tubing. The pic is a side view of the the frame.....but the pic has one side of the plate cut off...so you can see the design better. SOOO

Basically its a plate cut out to the right design...then its wrapped around the dale frame tube....and has a metal spacer inbetween both folded plate tabs for support..........and you have this on both sides and you got the front engine mounts........then the swingarm pivot is just bolted through in the back.....little mods.....and the top cylinder head stay is made with teh same "WRAP" idea......

I might have confused you more...haha....but do you see the design better now???
CHAD

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

biggrin.gif I think you want to try pinching the engine cradle with the mounts right?Should work fine since front mounts are mostly just to keep motor from going up or down.I wonder if they would eventually wear into the cradle though from flexing.Good idea if your doing a conversion.

aroracer72

#5 Post by aroracer72 »

Yes sir!!!
And your on my bandwagon cannondale27, that was my main worry/concern....how to avoid the two metals hurting one another. Im planning on using steel plates.....soo the frame would get the wounds. Thats were i kinda need some input here.....im trying to think of something that will rpevent enough friction soo no damamge occurs...but stiff and sturdy enough so that it doesnt let teh mounts flex a ton. My first thought was high impact plastic.....then some kind of teflon or kevlar..then carbon fiber.....or something. Just soemthing enough to seperate the two surfaces....

I mean i lvoe this idea....one.....a frame can be used for mroe tehn one engine with no commitment........two....the mounts can be adjsuted.......and 3...the mounts will be semi flexible yet super duper sturdy to elt the motor move a smidgeon so that it wont crack the frame or itself under super torque loads or hook up.

So you mean my idea would actually work????.......most likely??!!!!...wow.......usually my ideas are great but have soemthing that rpevents them from being usable.....but now i think i jsut found my winter project...well anotehr one..HAHA.....and soemthing that maybe i could market or use for many things.
DANG....we better keep this on teh down low...imagine being able to swap dune buggy engines...or snowmobile engiens...or ATV engines......without welding or cutting!!!!!......just adjsut the mounts...or swap them out for different ones...and bolt in. Wow....or if you have different hobbies for a single ATV......pop a ktm520 engine in for the duens...then slide in a 450 engine for teh races...then a 250 engine for those play rides or also duning. I may be on to soemthing.....and might regret posting this........ sad.gif smile.gif
CHAD

walsh450rmx21

#6 Post by walsh450rmx21 »

well if u do i it will be nasty..
but i couldnt do it i woudl get to fustrated..

CptHook

#7 Post by CptHook »

I understand your drawing, just keep in mind that bike engines are design and geared to push around a machine half the weight of ours, so what may seem like a monster in a bike frame might not be so in a quad frame...

aroracer72

#8 Post by aroracer72 »

Already thought of it and concluded that it will still rip. I drove a mint 2003 and 2002 crf450 dirtbike up north a month ago, and i had my cr250r there and rode them all after another.......the cr250r powerband is stronger all the way through...and jsut basically smokes them. So if pro quad racers were using near stock/lightly modified 450 bike engines with great results...something tells me that this bike engine with more and better power will do just fine smile.gif
CHAD

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Another issue you may run into is that the stock mounts might be in the way.I agree a fast bike motor isnt necessarily fast in a quad.You might even put some rubber in between frame and your mounts.Help vibration and would allow a little movement.Need to be careful to be sure motor can take uneven movement though.250 motor has a solid mount though so shouldnt be a issue.

Quadhauler

#10 Post by Quadhauler »

First question that comes to mind for me is what about the pipe? 2 strokes are heavily dependent on pipe design, so you just can't cut something up and expect it to work. I was thinking a water coled 500r motor would be pretty slick in a Dale frame, but that whole pipe issue. What about countershaft side too? IS the 250 on the same side??.... Would be a light quad that's for sure....