yet another problem.....

jesshamner

yet another problem.....

#1 Post by jesshamner »

I get tired of people dogging cannondales because they have so many problems. Its funny how other brands have some of the same problems. I just read a warning about the 05 Z400s and KFX400s. It's said that they too are using some magnesium valve covers that corrode with a certain coolant. Though it may be a rumor the z450 is supposed to be using magnesium for parts.

So add that to the list of problems that other quads share with cannondales.

Craig_C

#2 Post by Craig_C »

Yea, but ours arnt named Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki.....so they automaticly consider it junk. Of course.....if you ask me, there would be no 450R, YFZ, LTR if it wernt for Cannondale.

yamadjs08

#3 Post by yamadjs08 »

Originally posted by Craig_C
Yea, but ours arnt named Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki.....so they automaticly consider it junk.  Of course.....if you ask me, there would be no 450R, YFZ, LTR if it wernt for Cannondale.

True dat!:usa :usa :usa

Derno24

Re: yet another problem.....

#4 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by jesshamner
I get tired of people dogging cannondales because they have so many problems.  Its funny how other brands have some of the same problems. I just read a warning about the 05 Z400s and KFX400s.  It's said that they too are using some magnesium valve covers that corrode with a certain coolant.  Though it may be a rumor the z450 is supposed to be using magnesium for parts.

So add that to the list of problems that other quads share with cannondales.

I agree you would think they would have learned from Cannondales mistakes, but Magnesium is widely used material in motors. All of the big companies have been using it for years on their machines. They usually have a better set up for where the impeller is though. Not sure why they made this mistake. Oh well we can just laugh at them for a while.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

This is probably due to the fact that Cannondale chose to mount the water pump on the end of the cam. Most other makes run it in a different place. Possibly surrounded by magnesium instead of aluminum and mag.

PS: At the next group ride, I was thinking of doing a burning of the old magnesium valve covers as a symbolic jesture towards a better product, since most are going to the aluminum valve covers now. If you have never seen magnesium burn, you are in for a treat. It burns white hot!

jfarrar

#6 Post by jfarrar »

Originally posted by kdeal
This is probably due to the fact that Cannondale chose to mount the water pump on the end of the cam. Most other makes run it in a different place. Possibly surrounded by magnesium instead of aluminum and mag.

PS: At the next group ride, I was thinking of doing a burning of the old magnesium valve covers as a symbolic jesture towards a better product, since most are going to the aluminum valve covers now. If you have never seen magnesium burn, you are in for a treat. It burns white hot!

YAHOO IM IN!!!!LETS BURN ONE:head:

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Yea I got two!Burn em!

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

I knew this was going to cause a stir......

CDaleChick

#9 Post by CDaleChick »

make sure u take a pic of that tongue.gif

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

I thought magnesium burns a raspberry red color. Maybe that was magnesium sulfide or something like that. Man its been a long time since high school chemistry. If there is a good mag cover, I'd like to have it and I'll donate mine to burn. LOL. Mine is in pretty bad shape but still holding with Engine Ice now.