sand drag question

dvrack

sand drag question

#1 Post by dvrack »

My buddy gave me his Yamaha FJ1100 as I told him that motor would really rip in a quad and due to the fact I have a spare quad with no motor (no it isn't a Dale) though I do have a spare powder coated dale frame currently in my attic. Now back to my project any Idea on how much over on the swingarm I should go? I was thinking 12" but have no clue hoping somebody was into the sand drag stuff and could give me some insight before my buddy the fabricator get started. Also anybody need a car tubbed in California or caged let me know, just put together a legit 9.17 142mph street cobra not me my buddy.

Exodus

#2 Post by Exodus »

What chassis are you putting it in? That makes a diff on how long your swing is. The farther the motor is forward, the shorter the swing can be. I've seen a few of those types of quads that race here, they never seem to stay with the snow mobile quads, or the banshees. Most guys around here that are really fast, I mean WOW fast, use snow mobile motors. The bigger the better, and a few shoot them to boot. Those street bike motors dont have the gear that is possible with a few other choice motors. Just my opinion, if I had a FJ 1100, I'd be tempted to biuld one anyway.

Quadhauler

#3 Post by Quadhauler »

If you want to see the fastest of the fastest, in the sand anyway, head for Sand Mountain, Nevada on Memorial Day weekend. A few snowmobile powered quads that do run good, but usually the fastest quads are 3 cyl two strokes that I guess are supposed to be like a Banshee, only the only thing Banshee about them is the fenders and bodywork and even that is custom. The engines are just basically custom pieces of machined billet aluminum, real masterpieces!! These guy's/gal's quads are incredibly fast hitting the high 90mph and even triple digits on the hill. This year a guy and his crew showed up with a Suzuki Hyabusa powered quad, which appartently 1300cc's was not enough for them so they turboed it and added a dash of nitrous! Sat next to a guy with a radar gun who clocked one pass at 107mph!! Guy kept breaking chains though so couldn't really claim King of the Hill on Sat evening when it mattered. Anyway on Memorial Day the fastest quads from all over the counrty make there way to the Sand Mountain in the Nevada desert....

J. Delaney

#4 Post by J. Delaney »

It does matter what chassis we are talking about, but I would think 12" would be sufficient. But I would probably start out with a 6" or 8" swing arm. I like them wheelie happy. You'll probably need a 12 tooth counter shaft sprocket and a 58 tooth rear sprocket to get it geared properly.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

If you decide to go with a diffferent motor they go for big money to the MiniSprint racers.They convert them to alcohol

dvrack

#6 Post by dvrack »

I figured 12" over on the swingarm, and I don't really want to profit on selling the engine as bike was given to me to use the engine in a quad. My buddy the fabricator want's to turbo it which I think is overkill but knowing him he will snag a turbo and install anyway. Project will start coming together after Christmas ,now what to do with the rest of the bike was thinking about a HD engine in the FJ.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Yeah that would be cool.Tough though.