Ready for Ice YFZ

cannondale27

Ready for Ice YFZ

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

Well Ice is good and Dale isnt ready so I had to put my Honda pattern hubs on YFZ.Start this out with pic of thing and dog since seems to be popular lately.I am not racing YFZ so its at stock hieght no swaybar.Just having fun on lake.

Here are front Lonestar Hubs.They have Honda/Cannondale pattern.I would recommend picking up a seal for the rear of these.Stock Yamaha has them.Not mandatory since it is a sealed bearing.Fit was great and must be better bearings cause they turn better.Also like the speedwheelstuds.They have a extra bit of metal to start the nut on.Cost was a bit high but better than getting all new rims and such.

The rear hubs are Durablue.They arent real pretty but they fit great and have steel inserts which have splines in them.Ran a set on my R for years and they hold up very well.Cheap $.Notice nice 17mm lug nuts.They are Arctic Cat and cost about $.30 each.Fit Cannondale also.

Check out frt tires and rims.Right off 03 Cannondale.Will add a little width in front since they have about a 1/2 in.more offset.
Lots of ice screws.Kind of heavy though.After a few feet all the surface rust comes right off screws.

Here is rear tire.Normally I never even set them on concrete and put tire on on the ice to keep them sharp.These are about 6years old.Never lost a screw.1in screws and they hold air very well.

Wistech I am ready for some fun!Sled will stay home since not registered and trailer hub is shot. Will bring it next time.
Going to see how just running airbox lid works as far as jetting.Otherwise I will be kneeling on the cold ice covered in gas changing jets!Cant wait for dale to be done again.

Idahocannibal

#2 Post by Idahocannibal »

I am just starting to get into riding on ice, is it best to put as many studs as you can in the tire or not? Went out for a practice run yesterday on a little resevoir we have and its a blast.:head:

iceracer17

#3 Post by iceracer17 »

You can have too many studs which equals little penetration.Cheng shins are the tire of choice around here.Here is different lt500 rear bridgestone (with 628 indexed studs per tire)that worked back in 94' on the "2 smokes" that i'm going to try this year on the dale.20" verses 18",should give a better variety in gearing.

iceracer17

#4 Post by iceracer17 »

comparing size

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

That should work great Iceracer,Kind of round profile though.Low pressures Huh?

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

I just picked up a set of chen shins and a crate full of coldcutters. It took Neil and me 3 hours to zip them in and align them. Ill try to get the 15 tooth on the SAS for the extreme high speed runs tommorow. Im kind of nervous . This will be a 20 horse jump from my stockers plus I will be going from wide long travel to stock width and long wheelbase. It wouldnt be pretty losing it at 90mph .:cry:

walsh450rmx21

#7 Post by walsh450rmx21 »

OMG..
one time me and my freinds rode our qauds in a j.p igloo a ice skating rink here in florida my one freind closed up and did the big machine and he let us mess around it was loud and awsome slidding..
i bet ice racing is soo kool.

CptHook

#8 Post by CptHook »

You guys use the gold studs? From what I hear around here at least, those are the best for the money because I guess the gold ones are a harder compound?

iceracer17

#9 Post by iceracer17 »

Most guys use the golds because they can sharpen them.I have had my cheng shins for 4 yrs with the kold kutters and they are still sharp as ever.With them only touching ice.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Hey Dave . Were you going to run a toaster . I am almost finished modding a brand new one for even more flow than the dyno one.

Im happy to say the SAS first ride was a good one. It pulls through the gears as fast as you can shift it and revs out to a wonderfull top speed. I have to give a big thanks Niel for hooking me up with the ice tire selection.
I think the best description of how the engine pulls is violent.
Gaining and losing traction on the ice makes it very squirly and it dam near threw me off a couple of times. The plus one swingarm is not long enough for launches. I would say a plus 2 or 3 will be perfect. Steve took it for a ride and one of the injector cap clips popped off spraying fuel all over the engine and his leg. LOL . I had to use a cable tie to secure the clip down and that did the trick.
It hard to say how much faster it is than the
YFZ but it effortlessly beats the 06 with mods. The harley injector worked good. Even at the low pressure the quad starts faster than any other Dale Ive ever had. When warm just a tap on the button and its running . Got to love the old mc500.

I have to thank everyone again who put forth the effort to get this quad built. Hopefuly you will all come up to try it out and race it.