Super unleaded with aditives

chigger81

Super unleaded with aditives

#1 Post by chigger81 »

Ive heard that ethanol and methanol in fuel can be harmful to small engines. Im curious to know what it does. Today I got some 91 octane fuel at MFA and put it in my bike. The pump didnt say it had ethanol or methanol in it, but its a farmer based organization, so after I thought about it, id say the fuel has some in it. Whats it do?

Psychosis

#2 Post by Psychosis »

I honestly couldn't tell you but a few friends of mine talked about this at a race over the summer saying whoever built their engine said to NEVER run an ethanol based gas. Not sure the effects it could have if any, but after talking w/my local Hon/Yam dealer, they said they wouldn't recommend it either. ****, 3/4 the gas stations here carry ethanol gas.

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

Hey Alex, I think you need to update your signature to say Big HOLLOW Gun exhaust.

chigger81

#4 Post by chigger81 »

its almost harley style biggrin.gif

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

I have heard it can eat up o-rings and such.Will also run leaner.Were warned at couple nats that some of it wont pass a gas test at races.I know Toyota recommends no more than 10%.

Brad Oakley

#6 Post by Brad Oakley »

Fuel blenders are only allowed to put a maximum of 10% alcohol in pump gas. Otherwise it falls under a 'synthetic' designation and has to be handled differently. They also are required to publicly notice the inclusion of the oxygenating (alcohol) agent at the point of sale.

If nothing stated that the gas had ethanol in it, it probably didn't.

The problem isn't with performance. It's just that alcohol reacts with nitrile rubber causing it to softem and expand. Not too good for pump seals, etc. That's why I sell viton rubber fuel line and fuel injector o-rings. They don't react with synthetic additives.

cannibalq8

#7 Post by cannibalq8 »

I think u should get our unleaded pump gas ( 92 , 96 and 98 octane ) :cool: