Newest cannondale wreck!

TucsonCannibal

Newest cannondale wreck!

#1 Post by TucsonCannibal »

Just wanted to let everyone know what happened this past sunday. I was riding in a well known area with some friends of mine, just crusing around, hitting some jumps and drag racing.... when we saw this decent sized jump and thught about trying it. After first inspection we decided to take down the landing ramp, it was way too steep and if you cased the front of it, you would end up flipping forward.

Well, my friend Jasson tried it and cleared it fine, so I figured it would be no big deal.... only about 10-12 feet accross. SO I got a good running start, had 2nd almost pinned when I hit it... and thats pretty much all I remember.... the next thing I knew, I was holding onto the rear grab bar as the bike landed(weird I know) hitting my helmet on the grab bar and smashing my knees into the ground. I rold about 5 feet, the quad kept going about 200 yards until it took out a tree and stopped. At first I thouhg I had broken my leg... but as soon as I tried to stand on it, realized that I had dislocated my left hip. SO, to make a longer story short, got mew to the hospital and addmitted, took some x-rays and a cat scan.... found out that I had a fractured pelvis. They did surgury on tuesday to put the bone fragment back into place and screw in a titanium plate to the back of the socket cup. I am home now, with lots of drugs and even more pain.

If anyone has had this happen to them, Please give me some pointers on the best way to get in and out of bed, move around... etc... I have a walker, are crutches better? Thanks everyone.... And I haven't forgotten you Brian.
Entrance ramp

Jasson's Attempt

My Attempt

Aftermath 1

Aftermath 2

badvox

Thank God...

#2 Post by badvox »

That you are here to post brother!! :head:

That doesn't sound good at all but I am very glad that it wasn't any worse too. I wish a speedy and total recovery to you bro!!
In the meantime enjoy the legal dope and :drink: :drink:

~mike

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

ouch!sad.gif

theJeStEr1340

#4 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

A little pointer next time let off a little on the gas. I have had a few "Oh **** nose high" moments, I tend to let completely off then just get on a little more than enough to keep from slowing down, keeps the nose level.

Good to see you will be ok.

CdaleRacer0128

#5 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

You can take that jump and learn from it though. If the jump is a flat linear take off then you know that you will need a steady throttle all the way up the lip, do not blip it on the top or your nose will come way high like that!. Keep your body positioned, and be ready. Also, now that you've crashed, you're ready for the next, so when you feel your nose come up come off the gas ( if you know how to use the brakes do so, ) lean your body all the way over the front end. If that doesn't work, then you should just bail off the rear, kicking the seat away from you as you dismount.

haha, things learned from trial and error..

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Ouch!Get well soon.

timbomoose

#7 Post by timbomoose »

Ouch that hurts just thinking about it.Hope you have a speedy recovery.

toothandnail

#8 Post by toothandnail »

Don't know about moving, but for the first week or so, make sure to take pain killers on schedule , don't wait until the pain gets bad , it's a lot harder to get it back to tolerable, than to stay ahead of it.
As for the pic your knees are above the bars and the nose is way high, I've never seen that combo not sure how that happened:confused: Don't think I agree with bailing , I've seen guys ride out some extreme out-of-control jumps ,me included, but when you bail it's just you and the dirt:p

twisted

#9 Post by twisted »

I think your first mistake is jumping at full pin in a lower gear, try a higher gearm 3-4 and go slower and steady on the throttle. Good luck recovering, should be good to go in a few months..smile.gif

TucsonCannibal

#10 Post by TucsonCannibal »

Well, like I said above, i don't remember anything from the jump to the landing. My buds that were there said that it looked like I was trying to bail.... but I don't know. I know it prolly only took like 2-3 seconds, but it seemed like forever/