Need opinions on engine work.

z-mann

Need opinions on engine work.

#1 Post by z-mann »

I picked up an 01 fx400 project a few months ago. I have been picking up some parts and doing a lot of reading on here. Anyway , when I bought the bikes I was told it needed a fuel pump to run. I have one on the way. My plan is to get it running, and the send the motor off to be checked out and updated. What I was hoping to here from you guys is what my options as far as motor work were. Also, and I hate to do this , where did you have your work done at. From what I have read all the sponsors of the site do great work. I am not trying to put one against another. I just want to hear some options so I have somewhat of a plan in a month or so when I am ready to send my motor off. Thanks, Rich:head:

GDITheman

#2 Post by GDITheman »

haydug did my engine a year ago. i had a problem with it right after i got it back. doug fixed it asap. doug stands behind his work. i like doug because he did what he said he was going to do.

i have bought parts from caniboomer and black widow. both have excellent service.

i haven't deal with tim yet because i haven't needed to.

i don't think there is a bad vendor on this forum. all the bad ones were weeded out a long time ago. now we're just left with the best.

z-mann

#3 Post by z-mann »

No one has any opinions or details on their combos?

speed_demon

#4 Post by speed_demon »

I've got one of the few 505s from Tim & it rips! Tim will stand behind his work as well. Easiest to call him if you need anything as he is very busy.

speed_demon

#5 Post by speed_demon »

Oh yeah, I've also bought parts from Doug, Canniboomer & Blackwidow as well. All are excellent to deal with!:head:

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Timbo all the way!For the machine work.You would not believe the amount of quality work he puts into these motors and he rides the heck out of his Dales also so he can relate to everything with our Dales.Haydug and Blackwidow both could do a great job on assembly but get machine work done by Timbo.

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

This is what I would do. First figure a budget. after you figure how much you want to spend, contact the site sponsers, let them know what you have, what type of riding and how much you want to spend. I am sure they will give you a good package. I know to many people who spend money on performance parts not realising they need to do a lot more just to get any benifits from the parts they bought.

If you still want my recamondations my list is

read as much as you can on these sites

Buy the quad (sounds like you've done this)

Motor mount update

If you are going to tear into the motor, get all reliability updates

crank work, at least a Z bearing. but I would get a timbo stroker or falicon

port and polish If the money is still holding up

Exhaust, This is an easy do-it yourself option, so you can add it anytime, but if you are tearing into the motor I would focus on all reliabilitys first

OH yeah! D&M is a must and the one that should be available by some of the members on this site will be great.

Sandstorm

#8 Post by Sandstorm »

The site sponsers are the only ones left. The rest of the so called builders made their own beds and have to sleep in them now.. I feel Jeff at the Quadshop and Champion are the exceptions though, oh and Wisetech..

azcannon

#9 Post by azcannon »

I want to chime in , there are a lot of people who can build a motor - the difference is those who operate a legitimate business and have advertised and sold their services and are willing to stand behind them. Most Shops have or will make mistakes , they happen , the difference is as most know with ANY engine if it goes boom what is their involvement going to be ? A legitimate shop will talk to you , answer the phone , and work out a solution with you -almost always at a loss - in one way or another , also a legitimate shop has bills,a reputation and upholds a good standing in the community, which can be very diffucult with all the fads going on and loud mouth fickle people always wanting something for nothing and willing to trash you when they do the first oil change wrong.

Who builds your engine should be as important as what you do to it, it really narrows down the choices.
As far as I am concerned sometimes little problems are good when it shows how far someone is willing to go to make things work out.

RoooStEr Pops

#10 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

And that is why I do my own work. Olny one person to blame when something goes wrong.