Neck brace opinions

dalewannbe

Neck brace opinions

#1 Post by dalewannbe »

A local shop told me the neck braces help prevent broken collar bones. He also said they don??????????????????t hamper turning your head with them on. Sounds like they mount to your chest protector.

Looking for advice on these as these, as my buddy broke his collar bone at ????????????????The Race???????????????. It was in the motocross section right before the finish. Kinda sucks as he would have finished in the top 10, starting from the plus 30 line.

After my bad crash, I was at least able to walk away???????????????.the quad and motor case are trash, but I walked away fine. I just might not get that lucky next time!

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

They work but take some getting used too because they do hold in body heat and restrict a little movement.Helmet bottom edge hits your collarbone and snaps it.I need to start wearing mine but have trouble getting used to it.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

Would it help sure, but it won't stop it. One thing it won't change is the ability to be struck from the front. Meaning in a bad dismount something can still break it in a forward collision.

My theory to riding gear is be protective, but overprotective can hurt just as much too. Played contact sports throughout childhood and well into my 20's and never bothered with more than standard equipment.

just my opinion. Accidents happen it sucks, but it is part of competing.

badvox

#4 Post by badvox »

While watching the first round of ITP Quadcross at Glen Helen last week I noticed quite a few of the Expert Open class guys wearing them.

These were the old timers and most are ex pros from back in the day. Perhaps they know something? Could be...

If I break something it will be my fault anyway.

r.porter

#5 Post by r.porter »

Just a thought , But don't they call them NECK brace for a reason?
On another note , I could never get used to them. I think the dealer was just trying to add to his sales quota.

cdalemx301

#6 Post by cdalemx301 »

I don't see how they would help protect anything but your neck except for whoever said the helmet hits the collar bone other then that I don't see it doing anything...I think My chest Protector has save my shoulders and collar bones quite a few times now...I don;t know how much truth is behind it or if it is a selling point but my HRP chest protecter has Nets inside the shoulders that are supposidly in there to work as a shock absorboer when you go down on your shoulders...does it work? I dont know I have never worn a differant protector But I feel it has saved me 2 specific times both were fairly high speed wrecks when the bike high sided on me ou of a corner and sent me flying...So anyway I think a chest protector will do more in terms of shoulder protection then a neck brace

toothandnail

#7 Post by toothandnail »

YES, they work, as said before it's to prevent your helmet from snapping the collar bone,it won't help in forward motion of the head but do in back or side movement.
As far as movement hinderance it just depends on what you get used to. I could make the same "It restricts movement" arguement for any protective equip. all the way down to your man thong:o ohmy.gif .:cry: It depends on how much risk are you willing to take

RoooStEr Pops

#8 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

Originally posted by tooth&nail
all the way down to your man thong:o ohmy.gif .:cry:

And how would you know about the man thong ?????????

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

CptHook

#9 Post by CptHook »

Im going to just throw this crazy thought in there and also say that it probably protects your neck from injuries during a wreck too, say you land on your head wierd like if you were to come up short on a jump and face plant.

toothandnail

#10 Post by toothandnail »

As my kids would say TMI ,dad ,TMI

biggrin.gif