Need some help!

USAMoto00

Need some help!

#1 Post by USAMoto00 »

I just rebuilt my motor and am running the Canniboomer air filter set-up. When I start the quad it idles fine, but when I rev it a few times I get a fault light and the temp light flashes. It will shut off sometimes and other times it will catch itself and keep idling and both lights go out. We had it on Farrar's computer while this was happening and it showed no faults according to the computer. Now something else strange is that it will do this for about 15-20 minutes of run time and then all symptoms will disappear. It takes about 15-20 min. right now to warm up because our temps have been between the low teens to high 20's on our indoor ride days lately. Do you think it's just a cold temp thing or does anyone have any other ideas? Why does the temp light come on when the fault light does? Is it for the coolant temp or air temp? Once it's warm, it doesn't happen at all and is completely gone altogether. Thanks in advance for the help, Brian.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

...that red status light is for coolant temp, with a slow blink or fast blink depending on the map... jwheat mentioned that possible cavitation, or trapped air in the coolant might cause a weird reading. You could dab some dielectric grease on the sensor contacts inside boot, and look for back-dribbling through bleed hose into coolant bottle at REV, to show you are completely purged of air in impeller housing.. If the program shows no faults, but the status lights do, that might just be a peculiarity in your ECU. Others will have opinions about your cold temp, rich/lean, IACV, etc.

tat

#3 Post by tat »

Mine does the same thing when it is very cold. About 15-20 to warm up. I usually have to turn the idle up so that it will stay running. After that, turn it back down and we are good to go. Only in cold temps though.

USAMoto00

#4 Post by USAMoto00 »

Thank you very much for the replies fellas. I was just trying to be safe because I am going to the National MX in Georgia in 2 weeks and want to be tip-top in the mechanics department. I will check for any air pockets in the coolant system and re-check the sensor connections. I want to thank you for an awesome air filter set-up Boomer!:clap: I do have a question though, should I put something in front of the air temp sensor to deflect debris or should it be okay? I have the Walsh set-up on the bike, so my front end is open to a little more dirt and dust than normal. Thanks again guys.:usa

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Cool Brian, thanks!
I'm not familiar with the Walsh setup, but just a short nylon bushing or tube, or a 3/4" piece of fuelhose pushed over the end of the sensor will protect it from a direct hit with flying debris.

If the extended forecast is gloomy for your race, I should have some tank-cover/mud-shrouds available in time.

USAMoto00

#6 Post by USAMoto00 »

Cool Boomer, I appreciate the tip. I was going to ask you about maybe a hose with some of the filter material in the end or just open ended, whichever you thought would be better. This filter set-up is def. way better than stock and I will probably be ordering another one for Michelle here real soon. (I had Farrar order mine for me last time) Thanks again for the help guys and I'll try and do the Dales proud while I'm in Georgia.:usa