NEW PROBLEM WITH MY OLD DALE..aahhhhh

aroracer72

#1 Post by aroracer72 »

Hey guys,

Wll, heres the deal. My original dale(first dale i bought) just got back togetehr a few months ago, have ridden it twice and has only about 5 hours on it. It was running PERFECT(all my quads do..cause i tune them all with an 02 sensor). No noises, no ticks, no wierdness, just perfection. Then after it sat like a few weeks the battery was low and i tried starting it, but the battery was dying soo i stopped, but it was flooded soo changed the plug.

I put a new plug in, etc etc, and then this last time i went to start it to let it idle and get the oils moving(its good to start things from time to time to keep seals all lubed..etc). So, it turns over like half a revolution and then clunk. Its a metallic sound, not too loud sounding...but i mean the motor wont even turn over.......soo i took the stator cover off and turn it backwards(i know its not good too..but a little) and it turned fine....normally and with no problem backwards,...then i turn it forwards and that same clunk in the same spot..and i mean its dead stopped..no forcing it past this hard spot.

Soo i know its not the crank itself(not seized)..nothing smells....looked into the engine from starter cover...no burning.....put a magent rod in there..no bolts or chunks of metal came out...soo now i was thinking....and i have a couple guesses as to what it is. For one...this happened suddenly.....this had to be soemthing breaking and jamming somewere.

My first guess is teh decompression mechanism. I havnt had one fail on me yet..soo i dont know what would happen if it does.....could this be it??? And my second guess is something is binding/broken in the crank area. There were no vibrations or noises the last time i rode it and was turned off running perfect..and now this. Took teh starter cover off and the linking gear...and the starter motor works just fine....smooth full speed. Soo, im kinda stumped....if its not the decompression mechanism then i dont know what it is without tearing the motor out(4th time with only driving it 5 hours..AAHHH). Im hoping and wishing its something in teh valve train and thinking it is, because the crank i KNOW is fine and working properly..and i hear this metallic hit sound out the exhaust pipe.

What i mean by this is when i had my dad turn it over to were it hits(by socket wrench on stator) i can hear it echo out the exhuast pipe.....soo its either valve failure of soem sort or decompression mechanism.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED and DESIRED BEFORE I GO TEARING INTO THIS THING
Chad

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Could be a chipped starter clutch gear or could it just be the leaky checkball thing and noise you are hearing is just slight play being taken up when hydrolock occurs?(take plug out and look in there)

acarli3

#3 Post by acarli3 »

Could just be hydrolocked if you let it sit for a while. Pull the spark plug out and check inside cylindar for oil.

aroracer72

#4 Post by aroracer72 »

I would shave a goat leap over a river and run down the street naked after the mailman if it was hydroloocked...NEVER heard of that happening on something this new or even EVER in quads/dirtbikes...lol.....but im gonna hope and wish this is the problem.
CHAD

cdaleman440

#5 Post by cdaleman440 »

u probilly have oil on top of your cylinder just pull your stator cover off (the round plastice cover next to your right foot) and flip the bike on the tail and turn the motor over backwards with a ratchit and a socket oil should come out the back of the bike and when you do make shure not to sheer off your key on your crank

GDITheman

#6 Post by GDITheman »

mine hydrolocked out of the blue this winter and hasnt done it since. it's wierd when it happens.