CATASTROFIC SUSPENSION FAILER

DanDuneBaboon

#1 Post by DanDuneBaboon »

Hey guys I have a FX 400 DALE 03 STOCK AND I was duking it our with a new suzuki 450 ( I won UNTIL IT HAPPENED) I was riding racing this guys in witchestor bay OR. and i was in 3rd gear 3 quaters throtle when all of a suddun I was laying on the ground looking up at the sky, I raised up and couldnt breath, My compotion came running over to me and I hit his cheast and bearly got out the words I can't breath!!! I fractured a few ribs messed my back up bad too. So what happend was I was ridding and all of a sudden the king pin broke and the ball joint were the A arms come to gether came seperated, It is pressed around the ball and it wore and well OUCH. I roled once or twice I really dont know but I do know that it crushed me. My new helmet is TOAST!!!! I wll have pics these week. And o ya the next day I was a hurting unit and i didnt want to go back out so my family went out, well my little bros bike went swimming, sumerged!!!! upside down floting!!!!

Dan

Aka the CANNONDALE KID

CannondaleRider

#2 Post by CannondaleRider »

Yeah, the factory balljoints are known to do that. If they are not well greased and maintained.

Get ahold of Brad at Blackwidow...i'm pretty sure he can get you hooked up with replacements balljoints all around

cdaleman440

#3 Post by cdaleman440 »

yeah when my balljoint broke it was a lower balljoint and man i cam down from a whillie and went over fast

theJeStEr1340

#4 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

I was able to ride mine out when it broke.

Exodus

#5 Post by Exodus »

Sorry to here about your mishap. I can relate with the broken ribs part it hurts like nothing I ever felt before. I am glad they recovered the bike, I am kinda surprised someone didnt fish it out and take it home. Looks like he's in for a rebiuld though. Hope you get to feel better.

banzairx7

#6 Post by banzairx7 »

Totally forgot about that failure, hadn't heard any horror stories in awhile. This seemed to be happening a lot more a few years back.

DanDuneBaboon

#7 Post by DanDuneBaboon »

Ya the bike that was floating was my brothers honda 250 my dale was able to ride out but we straped it together lol. We did fish the 250 out with a winch. lol

4strokemadman

#8 Post by 4strokemadman »

Does anyone have an electronic copy of service bulletin SBA01-09? This was the recall notice on the ball joints. ANYONE that has the old THK ball joints should read the notice and replace them! I have a paper copy that I can scan. This should be in with the rest of the service bulletins on the site. If you want me to scan it to a PDF let me know so we can have a copy posted.