Need some venting time

Derno24

#1 Post by Derno24 »

Well I guess you can say I am a little hard headed, but even I am starting to realize how much of a headache my quad has been. It has now been since the Florida GNCC and I still am not any closer to fixing my problem. Just to give you a slight background on this. I went and totally rebuilt my motor after the 12 hr race last November. Took the quad out with a new motor and ran it at Rausch Creek for better than 8hrs of total riding time. Quad ran flawless. Went to Florida and found that a used Pingel that I added to the quad was bad. Raced down there and completed one lap and the quad died. Right at about 40 mins. Ran great prior to that. Well I tested the charging system and changed the battery, cleaned all the connections and retightened everything. Went to Georgia GNCC and the same thing. Came home checked some more stuff changed out all the quick connects to Boomers style and replaced all the hose to the pump and from the regulator. Went to NC GNCC and the same thing. Doug and Randy who were there were both scratching their heads and going I dunno. They gave me some ideas and I continued.

Now it has been several weeks for me of no riding let alone all the racing I am missing a good portion of my racing season. I am convinced a little gremlin is bouncing around laughing at me.

Now onto this past saturday. Went to a local place to test the quad out and rode it till she farted out. Noticed the fuel pump was hot and she was trying to start, but not quite getting it done. Now I have changed all the fuel line put new injectors in ( I had them laying around), put the MSD fuel pump on and other little goodies so it is now safe to say it is not the fuel system now. Feeling confident that I got this ******* fixed I went to go ride it yeterday with the help of GNCCBlaze440 and 311Racer. She didn't even make one f***ing lap ran great till it backfired once and cut out. Now it won't even start at all. I am going freaking backwards. I love riding my cannondale, but when is enough enough? Most people would be pissed I went past that point a while ago. Now I just don't care. I have been working and working on this and am no closer to the end result than when I left for Florida. Disappointed is the cleanest word I can use. I am now missing another local race this saturday and am in rush mode to get another ride ready for next weekend. I will not miss another race.

So feel free to comment or post ideas and I will be sure to try them. Also if it doesn't get fixed soon I will be parting it out. As much as it hurts to say that I just can't take this anymore!

TheJaspMan

#2 Post by TheJaspMan »

I feel for you Derno. I love Cdales. But I would have to think long and hard about traveling 14 hours to race one. Or to commit to an entire national race season on one. It would require more work than I could handle these days.

GDITheman

#3 Post by GDITheman »

could it be a wiring harness issue or an ecu issue?

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

QUOTE (TheJaspMan @ Apr 20 2006, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel for you Derno. I love Cdales. But I would have to think long and hard about traveling 14 hours to race one. Or to commit to an entire national race season on one. It would require more work than I could handle these days.

Honestly I am not too woried about their durability as I have raced more than 30 races in one season on one, but this bug has me frustrated to no end!

As for it being the wiring harness it was my next step.

r.porter

#5 Post by r.porter »

Maybe the coil and /or the crank position sensor?

Sandstorm

#6 Post by Sandstorm »

My quad backfired and blew my rubber boot off the throttle body.. I have spent a ton on my quad. 3800 for the last rebuild w/ new pipe and ball joints.. Could of been a nice down Payment on a new Suzy..

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

QUOTE (r.porter @ Apr 20 2006, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe the coil and /or the crank position sensor?

That was my other next step. I am leaning towards the coil as the D&M was reading for the crank sensor.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

Derno, play it safe and replace the entire electrical system. You could start with the ECU and see if it clears up. If not then back to the old ECU and a new harness. Then in your spare time you can always look at the old harness and see if you can find the problem.

DMAC10

#9 Post by DMAC10 »

Derno

That sounds like what mine was doing, before I sent it to Doug for the rebuild, my last race it backfired and knocked the throttle body boot off, mine would start back after about 10- 20 minutes though.
So I thought it was in the cooling system or something was heating up. I even left it with Kyle at R&S Performance for 2 months and he couldn't find anything. So we decided it was i the wireing harness. So I've replaced the wireing harness, the fuel pump, upgraded to an aluminum impeller , put all new fuel lines, changed coil and installed an inline cooler for the coolant. So there should be nothing left, but I won't know for sure until I get the dale back from Doug ( hopefully Friday ).

I know that I didn't give you any answers but your not alone. I had for races with a DNF due to this quirk, so don't give up.

I hope to see you at another GNCC, if the doctors clear me to race and I get the dale back from Doug.
I love racing the dale and hope that everything works out for me to be able to ride again, then I'll get to enjoy the good times and the bad with the best quad that I've ever ridden.

Hang in there and do like everyone was telling me, change 1 thing at a time, and test the H*** out of it before you make that long trip to a National.

Good Luck and Take Care cool.gif

quadprorider

#10 Post by quadprorider »

Hey Derno.....You need a wiring harness? I've got a perfect one off of a 03 cannibal. Hasn't been hacked up or anything. Let me know, 1-302-740-5056, Nick.