Problems with Hipers

CptHook

#1 Post by CptHook »

I have recently purchased some new kenda klaws mx (4 ply) to put on my Hipers for the track. Previously I was running Holeshot XCRs which are a 6 ply. The rears mounted up fine with no leaks at all. However upon instal my fronts, the leak substantially from the beadlock ring. I thought perhaps I did not torque them right, so I have no taken off cleaned and retorqued both fronts three times now, including rotating the tires and swapping the rings and I still cannot get them to stop leaking. They never leaked a bit with my XCRs but these will not hold air well at all. One tire will leak down to about 6 lbs and then seems to stop, the other just pretty much leaks out completely. Any else had this problem? Im not really sure if it a problem with the tire or the rim. Im wondering if maybe with the rings being composite they formed a memory to my 6 ply XCRs and therefore may have to remold to these thinner Kendas, not sure. Any ideas?

jacobw

#2 Post by jacobw »

clean the rings and the wheel with some cleaner and blow out the grooves with compressed air then put some lube on the beads when you mount then and be sure to torque them to proper specs or they will leak biggrin.gif

CptHook

#3 Post by CptHook »

Did that already. Like I said, I've cleaned them, lubed and retorqued three different times and they still are leaking.

harleypitbull1

#4 Post by harleypitbull1 »

QUOTE (CptHook @ Apr 22 2006, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did that already. Like I said, I've cleaned them, lubed and retorqued three different times and they still are leaking.

I had the same problem. I put tons of soap and water to let the tire slide as you torque the ring. Mine was trying to not equally push out the tire on the bead. May not help you at all, just an idea. Also, I am sure you know that it is coming from there but I had one brand new wheel that the o ring inbetween the two halves was bad.

jacobw

#5 Post by jacobw »

are you sure they are leaking from the rings??? You may have a o-ring leak. How beat up are your rings if they are all beat up and warped they will not seat on the bead properly either.

vpbug

#6 Post by vpbug »

I had the same problem when installing my dune runners on the fronts. I tried everything, and finally with advice from another hiper owner, I used black silicone, very, very small amount on the wheel where the tires seats. All problems solved. When I switch back to my razors I just clean off what little silicone is left. Not the best way I suppose but it works. And it is not that hard to clean afterwards, if you don't overdue the silicone. Goodluck.

Hey, I don't mean to splatter your topic with pics, but I just learned how to add pics and just fine tuning the skill!

Goodluck again.

CptHook

#7 Post by CptHook »

QUOTE (jacobw @ Apr 22 2006, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are you sure they are leaking from the rings??? You may have a o-ring leak. How beat up are your rings if they are all beat up and warped they will not seat on the bead properly either.

Well the rims only have about 5 rides at the track on them, and now Im switching tires, so nothing is really beat up. The rings are the only thing I can think of, they are slightly "wavy" I guess you could say, where each lug has been tightened down fron my previous tires, not from abuse. So I cant say they are perfectly straight, thats the only imperfection I can find, why I was asking about the "memory" of the plastic having an effect on the seating. Perhaps I just need to pick up some new rings, a little disapointing considering you spend almost $200 per rim and I couldn't even swap out tires on them easily after 5 rides at the track. I think I will try the silicone idea next. If its any help, they seem to be leaking primarily from those three "starter" holes on the ring that have a notch taken out of them for whatever reason I havent discovered yet. I plan on calling HiPer Monday and explaining my dilemna and see what they have to offer me as well. Keep the ideas rolling guys, I really appreciate all the help.

iceracer17

#8 Post by iceracer17 »

A dealer close by has been having a lot of problems with people bringing back wheels with the orings leaking.So much so he don't stock them any more and has switch his quads to ITP beadlocks with no problems.

jacobw

#9 Post by jacobw »

my advice is to call hiper and the rings will not have any waviness if they are torqued properly I have a spare sheet that show you how to torque them if you want me to scan it an post it for you or just email it to you. I just put new tires and rings on mine and the rings are not wavy after being torqued seem if they get wavy you are over torquing them

CptHook

#10 Post by CptHook »

Well, worked some more on it today. Seems the other front is holding air now, so now it is only one that is leaking. We made a rubber gasket out of a dirt bike tube and put that between the bead and the ring. We thought this had solved the problem til we rolled some water around in the rim only to discover a couple areas with bubbles coming out, but it is definitely not nearly as bad as before. As for over torquing, unless my torque wrench is junk I dont think I over torqued it, I did them just under 10 foot pounds as they call for 8-11 foot pounds. I still plan on calling HiPer, but I have a feeling that they are probably going to tell me like jacobw has, that I over torqued them. I think the next step will be some bead sealer, and hopefully between that and the makeshift rubber gasket the problem will be solved. Stayed tuned.