HELP!!! Speed Died Lastnight!

J-Regets

#1 Post by J-Regets »

just wondering what everyone thinks?? After about 3 hours of riding, coming back home on the road showing a 400EX just how slow he really is, i notice im losing power. I downshift to 4th and still no power... no sooner i let off the throttle my 'Dale dies right there on the road. My first impression was overheating. But after it cooled down, it still wont start. I couldnt tear into it lastnight but i noticed my brand new battery started dying not long after a few cranks?? Also by the sounds of it, I dont think im getting any spark? Its just turing over not even trying to fire.

SOO, in short...

Wide open on the road.... lose power.... dies

cools down, wont start.

battery dies fairly quickly from trying to start it. (brand new battery)

without pulling the plug, sounds like im not getting spark.

fuel pump still turns on and pumps.

Whats going on with it??????

HELP ME!!! sad.gif

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

If you think it isn't sparking, check your connections, grounds, coil, plug and flywheel. I'm not sure that an electrical problem would cause the gradual loss of power though.

J-Regets

#3 Post by J-Regets »

it wasnt a gradual loss... it was all at once... i noticed the loss in power and 5 seconds later it completely died!

QUOTE (jesshamner @ May 25 2006, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you think it isn't sparking, check your connections, grounds, coil, plug and flywheel. I'm not sure that an electrical problem would cause the gradual loss of power though.

fig

#4 Post by fig »

Check to see if your flywheel spun. The keyway should line up with the C in cannondale.

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

Ok...then try checking the stuff I mentioned. Sounds like a spun flywheel but could be a few different things.

dalewannbe

#6 Post by dalewannbe »

check to make sure your stator wire, down near your fly wheel isn't rubbing on any metal.

kinda sounds like your battery isn't charging like it should.

yamadjs08

#7 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ May 25 2006, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok...then try checking the stuff I mentioned. Sounds like a spun flywheel but could be a few different things.
Yep, sounds like a spun flywheel or a sheared timing key to me. When my flywheel spun I was wide open in 4th and shifted into 5th and I could tell there was a loss of power so I pulled in the clutch and revved to try and keep it running and I got one wimpy rev and it died.
Just take off your flywheel nut and the washer and see whether your keyway is lined up with the "C" on the word "Cannondale" which is stamped on the flyweel. That will tell you whether you spun your flywheel or not, but the only way to tell whether you have sheared the key or not is by pulling the flywheel off.

J-Regets

#8 Post by J-Regets »

welp.... here goes guys....

NO COMPRESSION!!!!!!!!!

im getting out... im done with these maintance hassle quads. im going Japanese again... i loved my dale and loved everything that they stood for...

buying a YFZ or an LTR... probably an LTR since im a suzuki/honda salesman and ill get it at cost!! biggrin.gif i might even buy a Banshee... lastyear for the legend... and maintance is a joke! you can rebuild one for 200 dollars and 2 hours time!! lol

anyone want a 2002 speed? whole or parts. Less than 50 hours on it... stage 8, velocity stack, aluminum valve cover and impeller... just needs rebuilt

MyCannibal

#9 Post by MyCannibal »

i'll take the aluminum valve cover if you part out dude...

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (J-Regets @ May 25 2006, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
welp.... here goes guys....
NO COMPRESSION!!!!!!!!!

im getting out... im done with these maintance hassle quads. im going Japanese again... i loved my dale and loved everything that they stood for...

buying a YFZ or an LTR... probably an LTR since im a suzuki/honda salesman and ill get it at cost!! biggrin.gif i might even buy a Banshee... lastyear for the legend... and maintance is a joke! you can rebuild one for 200 dollars and 2 hours time!! lol
anyone want a 2002 speed? whole or parts. Less than 50 hours on it... stage 8, velocity stack, aluminum valve cover and impeller... just needs rebuilt

J-Regrets,

If one of your mechanics (who may have never looked at a Cannondale before) looked at this and came to this conclusion, I would advise him of the built in decomp release on the cam. It may only put out 80lbs of compression on a gauge. No compression from a good running motor in just a few seconds is not a common problem on a Dale. I'll bet that you have another problem.