moto440 vs. 400ex

jcv440

#1 Post by jcv440 »

All depends. A bone stock moto is a good bike for anyone that's going to compete in motocross racing up to a "B" level. After that, it's down in power. And to get a Cannondale to put out reliable power for a "A" rider or above, it costs alota money. I think South Bay Moto is the only company really having any luck with a 50hp+ motor staying together. It's right up around $2500 to get the motor to that level.

But for a weekend warrior or an up and coming star, then a Moto is the way to go. It has enough power, handles excellent, runs on pump gas, and you've got all of us to help you with any issues.:cool:

JST

#2 Post by JST »

No brainer------------------MOTO-----------MOTO--------------MOTO

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

Ride one before you make your decision. The ride is the righter of all wrongs.

The maintenance schedule and engine updates are nothing compared to the white knuckle thrill ride compared to a 400ex.

After owning one you simply will not be satisfied with anything less.

justfine

insight.....?????

#4 Post by justfine »

I have some insight into this. I have a friend who has a TC416 decked out 400EX. One of the biggest differences is that the Moto runs on pump gas (93 octane). The 416 does not. The Moto is better at pulling holeshots and seems to be about the same power wise. The one thing I have noticed is that the Moto is easier to ride. It is not a quad to be short-shifted by any means, but it is much more forgiving than the 416. I find the Honda to be an all around harder quad to ride. I guess it is whatever you get used to. At last, I will tell you my Moto is MUCH more reliable. When you start getting a quad that stock produces 28 horsepower to produce 50+ you are going to get a much less reliable quad. Good luck.....look into a hybrid if you wanna spend big money, but if you want a Moto, check mine out.......l

jcv440

#5 Post by jcv440 »

You'll be more than happy with the Moto. Reliability isn't an issue with a stock one. Our engine has ran 2 complete laps around a race track, not once, but TWICE with no oil in it....and you couldn't tell the inside of that engine from new! :cool:

Stock form, it's hard to beat. These things will take the abuse from Motocross with ease. A built 400 looses alot of reliability. Once you increase the heat, parts wear out faster.

And just doesn't this thing look purty!?

jcv440

#6 Post by jcv440 »

Yep, it's still in the showroom though. This is the one that runs the Nationals.

LapTraffic

#7 Post by LapTraffic »

Our engine has ran 2 complete laps around a race track, not once, but TWICE with no oil in it....

:eek:

Wow, how did that happen?!

That Redline is some pretty impressive stuff eh?

jcv440

#8 Post by jcv440 »

Yeah, Redline is good insurance! Once the drain bolt fell out...
And the other race, the exhaust burnt a hole through the return line to the back of the motor from the frame! Unbelieveable!

justfine

pics

#9 Post by justfine »

my moto