My wife made me do it.........

NRath

#11 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 13 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Joe got 13mpg with about equal wieght as mine with his Duramax.Diesel doesnt pay till big stuff is pulled.Wes I think your trailer load would qualify!I bet my truck would only get 6mpg and only go 50 pulling that.There is no doubt enclosed trailers suck gas but well worth it in my opinion.

It trips me out how people have such diffferent mpg's. I've also heard of diesels getting 17-18 pulling large trailers. Kind of confusing...

The Sequoia hit the driveway showing 13.8 mpg's for the whole trip loaded with the 6x12, 2 quads and the DRZ.

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

I think some of those gas mileage meters are way off on those 18mpg Diesels or they werent pulling a trailer. I always check mine by filling up till it clicks then filling up again and doing the math. I have taken trips in about all the diesel makes except Dodge and pulling a enclosed trailer they were all between 10-13mpg depending on size of trailer. But they braked, handled and accelerated awesome even with one pulling 8 snowmobiles in a HUGE trailer.

wanablaze

#13 Post by wanablaze »

Congrats, John, beautiful truck! I tried calling you before the group ride. Give me a shout back when you get a chance.

'05 Suburban AWD, 5.3L got 15 mpg on our trip last weekend to and from PA. Average (moving) speed was 74.5mph with two quads on a small flat bed trailer.

jesshamner

#14 Post by jesshamner »

I think the trick is to keep your foot out of the throttle when it doesn't need to be.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Definitly. If a guy could go 65 or less it would save a ton of gas but might actually be dangerous unless everyone else did same. Usually going with flow seems to cut at least a hour off a 12hr drive according to TomTom estimated drive times so worth it I guess.

ltdyfz450

#16 Post by ltdyfz450 »

The old buick aka the "dadillac" got 18 going to the dyno 4 quads 4 guys and a trunk load full of crap. She was plowing wind the whole way there. Got the air bags and the mail yesterday be putting them in this weekend and trying them out. Who says you need a truck to hall the car works great and it comfortale for everyone. tongue.gif

gml1998

#17 Post by gml1998 »

You will like the Avy. We own a 2004, Had it since new, it now has 106,000 miles. We have had no major problems yet.
The best thing we have done to the truck was to install a JOEY BED in the bed. It is a very large drawer the slides out so you can access the rear of the bed without removing covers. It will handle up to 1000 lbs extended.

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

About a year ago we somehow recieved a 2002 Avalanche to use as a shop service vehicle. It had a 165,000 and was one of the more loaded versions. It pretty much looked and drove like a brand new truck. I checked the maintenence records and the only things it has had done to it from new was ujoints, brakes and tires. I put a water pump in it a few months ago which is to be expected. After using for a year it has proven the genious of the design as we use it for everything from hauling sand, brick, jump starting, large parts, ferrying people and pretty much anything you would ask of a full size van or truck. It wouldn't be the best vehicle for severe service but who really tows 10,000 pounds every day. The most I will haul will be a car hauler with 4 to 5 quads. This weekend I will be pulling it in for inspection and change the tranny fluid to transynd and gear oil to synthetic. I found some stuff to use for inner panel coating so a preemptive strike on rust should give me a few more years before the Wisconsin road salt takes its toll.

MX Quad Dad

#19 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Sep 15 2010, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It wouldnt be the best vehicle for severe service but who really tows 10,000 pounds every day .

The company I used to work for had a 3/4 ton AVY with a 8.2 engine.

UpsMan

#20 Post by UpsMan »

8.1 maybe?