Which engine builder is the best bang for the buck?

383astro

#1 Post by 383astro »

I will be having an engine built for me this spring and was wondering who it might be. I have a 03 Hydro motor that has never been opened. I would like the head and TB ported and all the updates but I will probably leave it at 432cc. Any suggestions of who or does anyone have a price that they paid and the work done? thanks

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

Man... arguements are going to start on this one... It kind of depends on what you want in my opinion. Brad at Black Widow has a great builder working for him (Cord), and I am sure their reliability is second to none, as is their customer service. I honestly do not know about their horsepower figures, as I have never seen charts from them.
Timbo is great, his attention to detail is wonderful, and his dyno numbers are there. He has a wait time though, but just hired someone new to help fix that. His prices seem very similar to Black Widow, possibly a bit less here and there.
The only other builder I have experience with is cdsracer, my neighbor, who is good and very meticulous, but he is not really a builder as in he does not own a shop, just his garage.
There are tons of good people here on the forums, some of which advertise their services and some who do not. I would give Black Widow a call, as they are very reliable, and ship same day with plenty of parts in stock... Good luck in your search!

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

The only all out HP pro builder out there right now is Timbomoose. His prices just like his engines are unbeatable. Ill change my opinion as soon as I see some proof that anybody else besides me can compete with his monster motors. If you are looking for stock rebuilds then there are several builders to choose from . Most all do great work at that.

383astro

#4 Post by 383astro »

Can anyone give me some prices or should I just PM Timbo? I need a basic engine rebuild(I think) with a ported head and tb, all updates and probably a crank rebuild.

also does anyone make larger cams? Would larger cams make a difference? I build car engines and never have worked on a engine this small. Would the FI and computer allow a larger cam? I know the head has a lot of potential.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Timbo is great, his attention to detail is wonderful, and his dyno numbers are there. He has a wait time though, but just hired someone new to help fix that. His prices seem very similar to Black Widow, possibly a bit less here and there.

You will find Timbos prices to be much much less than the price of ANY other builder other than the garage guys and HP to be close to 50% increase proven on dyno for less $.He also owns this site.

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 19 2007, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You will find Timbos prices to be much much less than the price of ANY other builder other than the garage guys

Um, actually that isn't true Steve. Tim's prices are the SAME or cheaper than the garage builders. I could have come through the phone when Tim told me he did a motor for the same price I did it before. Tim is by far the fairest guy I know. He takes a freaking loss on all the motors he does. Hear that Tim??!! Stop it already and raise your prices!

ozarkdaler

#7 Post by ozarkdaler »

I have to agree Tim is cheap. $ to HP ratio is unbeatable. It is okay Tim to raise your prices lol.
Not to mention if you need to call him on an issue you can and he will help you.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

There all us garage guys agree Tim does it too cheap get in while you still can because even us garage guys ARE charging more than him.