Mini CNC

Smitty911

#1 Post by Smitty911 »

All,

I found this little Mill from Sherline. I was thinking (some would question that) about picking one up. Where I work the real machinist will not allow me to use the big Mill and Lathe. All of the fixtures I end up making are made with an Band Saw and Drill Press. They are ugly and don't give a lot of client confidence.LOL

I was thinking of getting the 8 axis with the CNC set up but know little to nothing (I can't believe I just admitted that) about CNC. I liked this one because you can still use hand wheels for something quick.

Your advice is appreciated.

Smitty

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

What do you plan on making with it and out of what material?In the Machinery world bigger IS better.Comes down to what you can afford though.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

I am not a machinist, nor do I pretend to be, but I did use to hang around a machine shop that used some pretty fancy CNC mills. C27's accessment is totally correct. The larger the spindle and motor assembly the better and faster the parts made with it will be. If you have nothing but time and are interested in learning CNC skills go for it! The mill you mention is very small and will take a long time to make anything due to its size. If you have the ability to make it go faster the parts will only get rougher. I like the concept and it could be worth while as long as you know the limitations (mostly time to complete). The CNC is what makes it interesting not so much the mill. Be weary that the common CAAD programs are not cheap, but once you master the programs, you will definitely have a very usable skill. Maybe Timbo will chime in as he would probably be the most qualified person to describe it in better detail and he learned the trade the right way (hard work).

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I know what Timbo will say."HAAS"

Smitty911

#5 Post by Smitty911 »

Thanks

I know that this one can only cut .005 on a fly cutter and .002 with an end mill. It will of course take time to remove a lot of material from anything I'd do.

I have to make small parts out of Aluminum for holding Fiber Optic connectors. Some Plastics would work as well. I use 1/8" Aluminum and mag scrapes now. I can rough cut them to size on the band saw and use this to finish them up on.

Basically I would "hide" this thing in the back of my optics lab.

Our full time machine shop can't get a "Real" CNC so my chances of getting a HAAS are not even worth discussion. LOL

I have Solid Works so I guess learning it would also me a step in the right direction.

Anyone every seen one of these? The factory is about an hour south so I just might have to run down there.

Thanks

Smitty

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Ask them for a guarantee on what kind of tolerence the mill will hold. That's another trait of an inexpensive machine (loose tolerences). C27: Take a look at Mazak 5-axis CNC mills. They aren't too bad either.......

GDITheman

#7 Post by GDITheman »

Which CNC machine from Sherline?

Smitty911

#8 Post by Smitty911 »

QUOTE (GDITheman @ Mar 8 2007, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which CNC machine from Sherline?

KDeal,

They claim better than .001 once you get good with it, but .001 is no problem. If I can make stuff to .001 than would be great. I hold about .500 now so anything tighter would work. I make alot of slots. LOL

GDITheman,

The eight axis CNC. I think it is the 2000 with 4 axis CNC. 4th axis sold seperately, ask your salesperson for details.

thanks

Smitty

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

For what your doing it should be just fine.A buddy of mine makes circuit boards with his huge time saver.

Smitty911

#10 Post by Smitty911 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Mar 9 2007, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For what your doing it should be just fine.A buddy of mine makes circuit boards with his huge time saver.

How's he like it? Easy to use, program, etc,, etc.

Smitty