running bad- cause?

RoooStEr Pops

#1 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

So whenever I give my quad gas it backfires and dies. Seems a lot like water in the tank, but have cleaned the tank and flushed all the lines. is there anything else that can cause this? Sometimes when I give it a little bit of gas it will choke out. The filter is clean, but I am cleaning it again. I won't be back home to check it till tomorrow so the filter should have sufficient time to dry. Any ideas please help. I want to ride this weekend. (I stole my dads bearign carrier ph34r.gif )

in fact this is TheJester1340, nto pops... just at home on pops computer.

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

Sounds like what my quad does when it runs out of gas. Pump doesn't pump enough fuel into the cylinder causing it to be lean and backfire and what not.

Not saying it's out of gas, but something may be restricting the flow of fuel like a pinched or clogged line or failing fuel pump. Clogged injector?

yamadjs08

#3 Post by yamadjs08 »

Definitely sounds fuel related, but I thought I would put this out there as a personal experience... I had some issues with my voltage regulator that was doing all sorts of things. Would rev high and if you idled it down it would backfire and die, sometimes it would idle fine but as soon as you gave it throttle it would sputter and backfire and die. I never thought to change it because it always seemed fuel related, and it just doesn't make sense to me to be something like the voltage regulator, but I was frustrated and had tried everything but LOL. If you had another one on the shelf or something it would be easy to check...

Does it start fine?

How much throttle can you give it before it dies?

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Do the basic stuff first ,battery cables,fuel pump terminals for corrosion,Check fuel quick connects for swollen orings,fuel filter,tank screen, Injectors have a filter in them and rarely get plugged.
Hook up the D@M and check for trouble codes,then watch the throttle percentage climb smoothly, slowly all the way to 100percent. A bad tps will have dead spots .
Like DJ said unplug the voltage regulator (both plugs ) and see if that makes any difference.

theJeStEr1340

#5 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Sometimes I can rev it up and sometimes it will just die. It starts great and will run almost forever if you just let it idle. I will see if my dad will hook it up to the computer tomorrow and check the TPS and disconnect the voltage regulator to see if that makes a difference. We have the race bike which needs the motor re-done in it so we can check with parts off it.

I think the race bike dropped a valve sad.gif as soon as I get a friends motor back together I will pull it out and apart and see. I just hope we (me and pops) have the money before nationals start. I am trying to run all but 1 in Open B this year.

RoooStEr Pops

#6 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

Well, not the battery terminals, not the fuel lines, not the regulator. It is charging, but will not runn off the jumper cables. I am charging another battery and will try it tomorrow night, if that doesn't work I am gonna part it out, unless someone wants a moto for $4K with a problem.

RoooStEr Pops

#7 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

Switched the battery with my dads (after charging his over night) she fired right up and ran perfect! I can't wait to ride this weekend, look for pictures, there is a triple calling my name.

RonDK

#8 Post by RonDK »

My bike did the same thing. I thought I needed some stator update and all this new stuff. I put a battery in it and it ran like new. Before the battery, it wouldn't even run w/o throttle.