An afternoon at Motoland

GDITheman

#1 Post by GDITheman »

Went to open ride at Moto Land in IN today. I am the worst MX rider and have only been on an MX track 4 times ever. So, I'm in the line up waiting our turn for the C class riders to start and I see a KFX 450 next to me. The kid looks about 16 at the most. I'm 35 and old and worn out. I'm determined not to let the 450 pass me. I have to make the Dale name proud rolleyes.gif Anyway, we head onto the track. I stay in front of the KFX for 3 laps ( thats all I can last at Moto Land). He rides by my trailer afterwards and we talk about his KFX and the Dale. He gives me a compliment on my riding ( makes an old guy feel good). Was cool to see the new quad. It was bone stock and he is going to do +2 a arms up front. Should look pretty mean then. I guess the best part was the kid new quite a bit about the Dales and was very complimentary about them. Not at all a punk kid with a brand new hot *** quad. I'm glad the Dales still have a hardcore reputation. I'm just the wrong guy to be trying to uphold it.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

I know how you feel. I keep getting into these situations that I have no experience in what Im doing and end up making the quad look bad. TT MX and especially drag racing. Its quite a change going from trail riding where you baby the clutch to make it last 10,000 miles to drag racing where its lifespan could be measure in minutes. Just go out and enjoy what your doing .The more you do it the better you will get.

dalewannbe

#3 Post by dalewannbe »

QUOTE (wistech @ Apr 22 2007, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know how you feel. I keep getting into these situations that I have no experience in what Im doing and end up making the quad look bad. TT MX and especially drag racing. Its quite a change going from trail riding where you baby the clutch to make it last 10,000 miles to drag racing where its lifespan could be measure in minutes.

I don't use my clutch a whole lot when racing, mainly just when at the check point, or when I have to hit the brakes hard.

GDITheman

#4 Post by GDITheman »

QUOTE (dalewannbe @ Apr 22 2007, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't use my clutch a whole lot when racing, mainly just when at the check point, or when I have to hit the brakes hard.

i've learned that using the clutch will burn my left forearm while racing. i try and do the same thing.

theJeStEr1340

#5 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

I have learned that to be fast, especially in TT you have to use the lcutch, it seems to be a lot of Lockign the rear end up and sliding it sideways into the corner and then keeping the tires spinning through the corner and comign out fast. This has carried over to MX, so I have started to use my clutch quite a bit.

dalewannbe

#6 Post by dalewannbe »

QUOTE (theJeStEr1340 @ Apr 23 2007, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have learned that to be fast, especially in TT you have to use the lcutch, it seems to be a lot of Lockign the rear end up and sliding it sideways into the corner and then keeping the tires spinning through the corner and comign out fast. This has carried over to MX, so I have started to use my clutch quite a bit.

I agree with you, I normally pull it in when trying to slide the rear around. When blazing through the trails or whoops, I just slam the shifter, probably causing I'm hanging on for dear life. biggrin.gif

aroracer72

#7 Post by aroracer72 »

I always keep my two middle fingers on the clutch......and practice that way...and after abvout 5-6 practices my arm doesnt tense up and im able to do it a whole race......because im always needing to slam the rear break in air or feather it to control sliding through corners. But on bumpy straight aways......i wont use the clutch.
Chad

theJeStEr1340

#8 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Oh, I never use the clutch for shifting, power delivery is smoother without it. I don't even use it to downshift. That could be why my shifter has a steel rod in the middle so it isn't hollow anymore. Timbo takes good care of me.

blaze#52

#9 Post by blaze#52 »

Let me know when and if you go back down, I live just a couple of minutes from there, I like to go just for endurance practice. Actually the pic on the homepage I took for them. Got to know the owners pretty good. www.motoland.com

GDITheman

#10 Post by GDITheman »

QUOTE (blaze#52 @ Apr 27 2007, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me know when and if you go back down, I live just a couple of minutes from there, I like to go just for endurance practice. Actually the pic on the homepage I took for them. Got to know the owners pretty good. www.motoland.com

We are heading to Red Bud this weekend if the weather is good enough to open the track. If not, then we may head back to Motoland. We met Curt ( helps out and works there sometimes) and his daughter Reagan the 1st time we went and now my daughter and her hang out. So we enjoy going to Motoland because the people have been very cool there. You can tell they are there for the fun of it. I'll definitely let you know since I have NEVER touched another Dale and need to see that others really do exist.