Ultimate Hybrid - Cdale Chassis and Apilia V twin

GDITheman

#1 Post by GDITheman »

Aprilia V twin Who wants to build one of these with me? This engine looks oh so sweet. If ATK does build a quad with one of these, then I'm in. I'd like to buy the engine and put it in my Dale frame. Any takers? Can't be too difficult can it?

"There are no power figures available, but we think it could reach 70 bhp in some variants." I think we have a 70 hp Dale now.

GDITheman

#2 Post by GDITheman »

Some info I dug up:

From Oct of 2006:
$3200 with throttle bodies for the 550cc. dealer to dealer price.

Sounded like the engine was going into a custom dune ATV

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

Your link isnt working heres something i found a wile ago. http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/412600868/m/19210732631

GDITheman

#4 Post by GDITheman »

Anyone else having trouble with the link? Works for me. I'll post pics. It's oh so sick.

MaxMoto News: 18/09/03

In the run up to the Milan show Aprilia were teasing us by telling us they were launching a "45.v2". We were expecting a motocross bike with a development of Yamaha's 450cc single. Aprilia's boss Ivano Beggio has been hinting for some time that a return to off-road and dual purpose bikes was dear to his heart.

What we got was not the bike, but the just the engine. And what a brave and significant move that engine is. V-twins aren't exactly common in motocross.

Developed entirely in house, the 77???? V-twin is amazingly compact. It's clearly smaller than many of it's single cylinder competitors. Whilst not actually revealing it's weight, Aprilia claim it's lighter too. With use of light weight materials such as magnesium for the covers and titanium for the eight valves, who are we to argue. The cylinders have a chain driven single cam, which for compactness is mounted over the inlet valves. A forked rocker on a third cam lobe operates the exhaust valves (explaining the unusually shaped red rocker cover). The alternator is big enough to drive an electronic fuel injection system, as well things like electric start. It's been reliably up to 14,000 rpm on the bench. It is also suitable for boring out to larger capacities, with a 550cc version known to be on the cards.

Aprilia say that the v-twin's lighter drive shaft and smaller bore and stroke reduces the inertia and gyroscopic effects, improving responsiveness and handling.

There are no power figures available, but we think it could reach 70 bhp in some variants.

They also say that this engine configuration is well positioned to stay ahead of future tightening noise and emission legislation. Something that could kill off some of the competition perhaps.

The bike itself should be revealed in early 2004 for use in the FIM World Championship Motocross Series, and expect this engine to be used in a variety of off-road, dual purpose and even road bikes. The engine would allegedly fit in a RS250 frame to make a RSV450 as temporary fill for the current gap between the RS125 and RSVR 1000. Although Aprilia's R&D department is already running at capacity, we're sure they'd prefer to build an all new RSV 45, or will they call it a RS450?

The fact that this was an in-house project is significant, and shows that Aprilia have moved on from their Rotax days, and now have the capability to develop a complete range of engines of different configurations. Rumours that engineers have started work on triples have been doing the rounds of late, and with Laverda's triple heritage, at least one variant will be going there, with Aprilia holding onto others for their own models.

Now howsabout putting two 45.v2 engines together to make a 900cc v-four in a "big bang" firing configuration.......Mmmmmm.

It would match my stars and stripes LE Cannibal. Color coordination is very important to overall performance wink.gif

UpsMan

#5 Post by UpsMan »

Grampa, get the **** away from my motor!

GDITheman

#6 Post by GDITheman »

For $3200, it's a steal. I'm just trying to come up with an engine cradle design.

J. Delaney

#7 Post by J. Delaney »

Are the wiring harness and ECU included in the $3200?

GDITheman

#8 Post by GDITheman »

The guy never responded to that question. I haven't talked to an Aprilia dealer yet, but am considering making the call to find out more. A buddy who races semi-pro street bikes said the 550 is on the edge of reliability and the 450 is a safer bet. The 550 may not take the beating as long as the 450.

Here is info from the other link:

Why is it possibly the best engine for FSAE?
Light weight, ~60 lbs dry (as you see it in the picture)
Unrestricted, 66+ HP
Electric start
Dry sump oil system
Very compact

Dealership details:
$3500/motor + shipping anywhere in the world.
engine comes with all sensors, fuel injectors, throttle bodies, and fuel rail.
20% discount on all parts which means that
~$200 for wiring harness
~$800 for ECU (As of 10-25-06 the stock ECU is not adjustable, and Power Commanders are not available. You will need your own ECU.)

Thanks for the second link. I finally got a chance to read it. Very slick.

GDITheman

#9 Post by GDITheman »

Funny. I did a search on ex riders for Aprilia and back in 2003 someone brought up this engine and most people said that a Cdale frame would be sweet to put it in. Don't know why I'm 4 years late in thinking about this, but I just think it would be SICK.

GDITheman

#10 Post by GDITheman »

OK, got a response from one of the FSAE guys and he's pointed me towards a guy who keeps 450 and 550 crate engines in stock. I will make contact tomorrow and get more details.

Art @
Euro Cycles
6914 Johnston St
Lafayette, LA 70503
(337) 984-0477
(866) 406-9757