A Good Roll Away Tool Box

WJR

#1 Post by WJR »

OK, who will chip in an opinion as to what is a good roll away tool chest. I need to replace my POS, and really, aside from knowing I want ball bearing slides, don't know too mych about them. Anybody have any suggestions as to brands? Yeah, OK, I cant spend 3500 on a SnapOn...

Thanks,
WJR

Psychosis

#2 Post by Psychosis »

I can't recall the brand but they sell them at I believe Harbor Freight. It's identical to a Snap-On one which you are probably looking at that costs over three grand w/ball bearing slides too. The difference? There is practically none as I went over it and thought about buying one myself after some friends recommended it. Looks identical to the Snap-On, seems built just as well but only costs around $800. Can't recall the brand name but HF carries them.

UpsMan

#3 Post by UpsMan »

Craftsman

J. Delaney

#4 Post by J. Delaney »

Can you stand in the drawers and have the drawer still function? Try it with a Snap On and then try it with that Harbor Freight box.

Psychosis

#5 Post by Psychosis »

Probably not. I figure it's not quite as good but built pretty well and I know people who have them and love them. A fraction of the price but maybe a little less well built. Still worth saving over two grand though imo.

WJR

#6 Post by WJR »

I checked out the harbor freight box, there are a couple of different quality lines. For like $850, you can get a 56 inch roll chest rated to about 280lbs per drawer..the next step down is half that price and one tenth the capacity...the SnapOn is way sweeter looking though...actually, I like stainless the best, but again, I don't know if I like it 2000 better.

The problem I keep running into is shipping. There are a lot of cool boxes out there, but to get them shipped adds way too much to the price.

Since there is a harbor freight within 40 minutes of here, that is a contender.

offroadfan

#7 Post by offroadfan »

Costco has a really sweet stainless steel roll away. I would look into that if I were you. Probably what I would get.

UpsMan

#8 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (J. Delaney @ May 27 2007, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you stand in the drawers and have the drawer still function? Try it with a Snap On and then try it with that Harbor Freight box.

Do you stand in your drawers often? I just keep tools in mine!

J. Delaney

#9 Post by J. Delaney »

No, I don't. But I would guess my socket drawer weighs close to 100lbs. Open and close it several thousand times and you will see which one has the better sliders.

Another thing to keep in mind is the size. Get the biggest one you can afford. Have you shopped Craigslist?

wright

#10 Post by wright »

sams club has a nice stainless steel for around 800.00 with top and bottom