Woohoo! Got my 'dale yesterday!

Mjollnir

Woohoo! Got my 'dale yesterday!

#1 Post by Mjollnir »

Hey everyone! Just picked up my '03 Flag Cannibal yesterday.biggrin.gif I spent most of the day today loctiting bolts and familiarizing myself with it, front and back today. Next weekend I'm going to take care of the break in, and on Thanksgiving week, it's Pismo baby!

I'll have pics tomorrow, though I'm sure everyone has seen ones just like it before.

I have only one question - chain slack. It seems that there is way too much, and the instructions in the owner's manual don't seem to work. 35 to 40 mm from the top of the swingarm to the bottom of the chain, but in order to get that, the chain is REALLY tight. Doesn't make sense. Anyway, if anyone has insight, that'd be cool.

JeffQuadShop

#2 Post by JeffQuadShop »

The chain is supposed to be loose!!! Every dale we have got in has been just right on the adjustment. If you run it too tight like the way you would a 400ex, you will wear through the chain buffer and into the swingarm in no time!

Mjollnir

#3 Post by Mjollnir »

Ummm. Oops. :eek:

Hey Jeff, can you tell me what the "real" spec should be on the chain? Maybe the measurement on a properly adjusted chain (in your experience)? If you (or someone) could measure from the top of the swingarm just behind the chain slide to the bottom of the chain itself and let me what the measurement should be, maybe I can get mine back into spec.ohmy.gif

THanks...

JeffQuadShop

#4 Post by JeffQuadShop »

Its 2.0-2.2" at the end of the buffer.

Mjollnir

#5 Post by Mjollnir »

Cool. That's what I adjusted mine to. It was at about 2.75" when I started. The spec in the book was 35 to 40mm (~1.5in), but that seemed way too tight. Looks like my guess was about right this time!

Thanks!
Marc

Ryanstones

wooo hoooo

#6 Post by Ryanstones »

congrats on the new machine bud! you are gonna love it!

JeffQuadShop

#7 Post by JeffQuadShop »

That must be an old book. The specs I got are out of the 03 manual.

Mjollnir

#8 Post by Mjollnir »

Guy, that is exactly what I am dealing with. The chain was adjusted the same on mine, it sounds like. I also got an '02 manual, and mine is much later SN.

The spec in the manual seems wrong, but the way it came was certainly wrong as well. The best that I can come up with is that the redesigned swingarm changes the spec, but the manual doesn't reflect that. Hmmm...

Marc

JeffQuadShop

#9 Post by JeffQuadShop »

That is straight out of the 03 manual!

Mjollnir

#10 Post by Mjollnir »

Cannitor, yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Like I said, not sure if that is why the change, but it's just a theory. The 2002 spec certainly does not work on the '03's, from what I'm getting here...

Marc