New 03

LapTraffic

#1 Post by LapTraffic »

buying from a dealer or private party?

If you drop the engine the stud update is around 300 bucks. It's more if they drop the motor.

The vent update you can do yourself for under 50 bucks

The battery try update is about 53 cents. 2 washers to tilt the tray forward.

If you're buying from a dealer I would not finish the deal until that work was performed on the bike

dawzie

#2 Post by dawzie »

I think the dealers figure 7 hours to drop the motor and reinstall. Stage 8 kit our cost $98 plus gaskets plus the time to install. Hose kit $11 from NAPA (2 tee's, 7 clamps and some 3/8 hose) BUT, you have to cap off the top of the oil banjo bolt. The updated drain plug is hard to find. Front motor mount bolt $12 ??

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

I think I paid 29 bucks for my kit on the motor mount. Forgot about that one

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

you can do the update yourself. It's not rocket science. There are several on this board who would be able to help you.

What I meant by having the dealer do the updates is to work that into the purchase price. especially the stud update. That will gernade a motor and I wouldnt take it off the floor if they didnt do it first. So they tack 300 bucks on to the bike, you're still at the negotiation table and able to make a deal. Once you take the bike theyre done with it.

Might as well deal while you can deal.

The engine mount update is for the front engine mounts. There are currently two mounting bolts one on each sode of the engine. The bolts put side load on the casing when tightened down, they actually draw the mounting tabs on the motor out. This preloaded stress will eventually crack the case. The motor mount update removes the 2 bolts, drills out the threads in the motor tabs and places a single bolt / shaft all the the way across from one side to the other. This removes any prestress. There is also an inside spacer to maintain tolerances.

As for buying a dale. You either want one or you dont. I have no problem tearing the bike down and doing the updates or working on the bike. I enjoy it because it's a cannondale, it's the best there is and I dont mind spending time wrenching on it. If it was a 400ex or a Z400 or a raptor Id be less inclined to tinker with it. Hard to explain. I dont think Id be as infatuated with those bikes and hense less interested in working on them.

Cannondales represent for me a Passion, whereas the rest of the bikes would only be a passtime. A subtle difference but an important one.

Good luck, you've come to the right place.

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

Do the updates and stay on top of it and it will be extremely reliable.

I honestly abuse the crap out of mine. I ride very very hard. Ive yet to have something fail that I didnt myself cause and that would have broken on any other bike.

Steering stem, plastic, etc.

I wouldnt be riding this if I didnt think it was reliable. You just cant ride it hard and put it away wet. You need to take care of it and it will take care of you.

drbowtie

#6 Post by drbowtie »

"Ah, yeh... I'll have a medium coffee and a blue berry muffin please." I told the Gentleman at the Dunkin Donuts drive thru window.

He responded, "NO $H1T"... "Is that a Cannondale in the back of your truck Mr.?" "Can I come out and look at it? I've never even seen one of those... WOW!" "Hey guys... LOOk! This guys got a CANNONDALE SPEED!" He yelled to the other employees.

Cannondale's have a nasty reputation for action... As long as your not measuring the activity of the Jaw Dropped Rubber Neck-in wanna bees!"

CANNONDALE! If you don't own one... you won't understand.

As far as the Undates... You would be a tad ignorant in my book if you did not simply purchase one that has a Certificate of Origin for production after November 20, 2002. All machines produced after this date have 99% of all updates already in place. All you would be required to do is put a few washers under the back of the battery tray and update the front engine mount. There are still enough of these for sale that you could find one that is new and was produced with the aforementioned date restriction.

Then you be... "Happy! Happy! Happy!"

And I never did get my coffee and muffin... ho, hum. Power and fame have their price.

LapTraffic

#7 Post by LapTraffic »

LMFAO!

That's priceless!

I just cant see that happening with a 400ex smile.gif

At least once a trip I get something like that. It's a good feeling

Jaybr

#8 Post by Jaybr »

I'm gonna throw my opinion in here for what it's worth, because I disagree with a couple points made.

If I where buying a new one, I would not have the dealer do the updates, unless I was buying from one of a very few dealers that actually know what their doing on a dale motor. I don't trust any of the dealers around here, and would rather do the updates myself for peace of mind. And I would go with the Stage 8 kit for the stud update.

As far as production dates, on an 03, yes I'd look for a later production date with the updates done at the factory. But in my opinion, the most reliable motors where the early 02's with the old style case. The fact is that the pre-ssm cases don't need the stud update. The 01's had some bearing problems and the late 02's and 03's have some case problems, but there is a window in there with great motors. The engine mount update does not apply to the older cases, but the mount design never changed. That alone tells me the older cases are stronger.

All of them can be very reliable if the proper updates are done and their taken care of.

LapTraffic

#9 Post by LapTraffic »

Good points!

Jaybr

#10 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by slim
 I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go with it!biggrin.gif

I don't think you will have any problems doing the updates yourself. I've done all mine, didn't do the stud update but I did pull all the bolts and clean and re-loctite(old case). I'm not a mechanic, just a computer geek that's a little mechanically inclined. Just take your time and ask for help here if you need it and you'll be fine. And if you can find an older 02 or a newer 03 you'll have a little less work to do.

Once you ride it, any wrench time will be well worth it.