KTM450

Psychosis

#1 Post by Psychosis »

Well, been keeping it more of a secret lately but getting ready to go catch a flight to Rhode Island to go test the new KTM quads for the official press release from the company. Will be back Tuesday and will have a lot of info. It's the same thing basically that I did for the KFX450 release except long w/more riding and this time we will be taking lots of video as well as photos. ATVSource.com will have the whole story this upcoming week.

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

Who do you have to blow to get that assignment?

UpsMan

#3 Post by UpsMan »

cuz I know I must have some knee pads around here somewhere!!!!

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

Just kidding of course...settle down you fruit cakes!

Blasterboy11

#5 Post by Blasterboy11 »

Definatly let me know how you like it. Because that might be my next quad, after the dale of course =) ... I love the way it looks. That quad in white or silver would be sweet. Its got LOTS of the same components that the dales came with 4 years ago, lol.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool.Looking forward to it.One of you guys should bail off to see how they do in a crash.Not sure who would volunteer for that though.

RonDK

#7 Post by RonDK »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Aug 18 2007, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who do you have to blow to get that assignment?

LOL, I'm still recovering from that one...good stuff.

Psychosis

#8 Post by Psychosis »

Tired and long flight so will describe tonight. Spent most of the time on the 525 but it and the 450 are identical except a different bore w/the 450 having higher revs but less low end. Amazing is the keyword. Triple rate Ohlins that're fully adjustable and LONG TRAVEL stock. And by far the mos power out of the box of any sport quad right now. These things just haul and they are also the LIGHTEST quads out there. the 450 weighs in at 357lbs ready to ride! That's not dry like the Japs claim, that's fully loaded, all oils/fluids, battery, etc, except fuel.

It sucked until the shocks were dialed in but I was able to take a 200yard stretch of varying sized whoops at 5th gear pinned and ride smoothly through them. We have it on video and will be on ATVSource.com later this week. Tons of good photos and some cool video. Lots of European riders there who looked like they'd never ridden a quad before. Was just completely insane and well worth the time spent. However, at around $9000 a quad it'll be a little harder to get. 1500 450's and 1500 525's will be made this year and that's it. They literally are race ready minus nerfs. And of course you would want a steering damper from Ohlins which is optional for a little more. At 48" in the front you can swap the wheels and get 50" but get this, they use Yamaha front wheel pattern and Honda rear. WTF!? As for the rear: it's an adjustable axle from 45.5-48.5" and can easily reach 50" thanks to a weird wheel offset stock. The thing is built amazing. The attention to detail is top rate and and had everyone in amazement. No wrecks however and only one big double jump which I and less than a handful out of 30 riders cleared on it. By far the best flying quad to date and the power is just amazing. I hate to say it but this thing would run away from a 450 stroker Dale, especially the 525.

Full write-up coming soon on ATVSource and I'll try and answer some basic things here tonight or tomorrow.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Way to go Mark! I've been waiting for info on this quad since I heard they were going to build one. I love the option of the two different size motors. The 525 motor just plain hauls the mail! I tried to tell everyone when I raced one in a Polaris Outlaw. It was definitely quicker than what people would imagine. Take away 100 pounds and it has to be awesome!

peterock

#10 Post by peterock »

Not intended to rip on anyone here, but reading that review made me feel like I just picked up a magazine and read the typical report you would see on a new quad. It's the fastest, lightest, race ready quad built.