rear carrier bearings

wright

#1 Post by wright »

what is everyone running that you are having good luck with, i just put mine in and have about 30 hours on them, maybe not even that many, they should last longer than that shouldnt they? sad.gif

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Good bearings with good grease should last a LONG time back there. Unless, the axle preload nut is too tight, or the internal axle spacer is smashed and got shorter. Or the chain could be too tight.
30 hours?, that's a bummer.

peterock

#3 Post by peterock »

Bent axle, riding conditions (water,sand, mud), and riding type like mx vs trail riding.

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

running chain at the minumum spec in the book will take the axil bearings out early. plus shorten the life of the swing-arm bearings also

It happened to me

wright

#5 Post by wright »

thats what i am running the chain, last year i put swing arm and carrier bearings and now i need carriers agian, what should the chain be at?

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Two fingers at chainslide with you on it.

wright

#7 Post by wright »

wow that sounds like alot i will give it a try, what is that spacer tube in the carrier supposed to measure, Thanks

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

Why is MX any worse than trail riding? I wear bearings out faster than any of my friends, racing woods is freaking hard on bearings. Hard bumps, water, mud, sand, logs. we have it all. smile.gif XC rulz!!

MX Quad Dad

#9 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I wouldn't say MX is harder on the axle bearings. Any aggressive riding is going to take its toll on the bearings.

I don't like running the chain any looser than nessasary. So we use a tiedown strap between the grab bar and axle. Standing on the grab bar pull the tie down strap tight to collapse the suspension to the point were the chain is the tightest. We then adjust the chain so there is enough slack so there is no pressure put on the bearings from the chain.

theJeStEr1340

#10 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Oct 21 2007, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't say MX is harder on the axil bearings. any aggressive rideing is going to take its toll on the bearings.

I don't like running the chain any looser than nessasary. So we use a tiedown strap between the grab bar and axil. standing on the grab bar pull the tie down strap tight to collaps the suspension to the point were the chain is the tightest. we then adjust the chain so there is enough slack so there is no pressure put on the bearings from the chain

That's how I do mine.