What is my HP

cool_dude_dotcom

#1 Post by cool_dude_dotcom »

I was wonderig if anybody has an estement on how much power i'm making or if i shoild go to a dyno. I have the canniboomer open air intake with a UNI filter for now I'm gona put a K&N onlater and he ported the head, a Falicon stroker crank And CP450 piston so i'm at 468cc. I also have the HMF sport exhaust with the race core. And all updates from Canniboomer.

Later,
Jeremy

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

In case you haven't seen the other threads on this, DYNO IT FIRST. Don't take a chance on ruining your engine.

Who did the port job on it? Timbo? I am unaware of Boomer doing his own porting.

If it's done right you should be near ~53hp, but that is assuming DYNO TIME. My ported 450 got 51.8, so that is what I am basing this on. It also depends on who did your port work.

Do you have that hp now? NO. Not without dyno time. The dyno brought my hp up about 4-5hp from proper mapping and timing and AFR tuning. Not to mention that it made my engine safer to run instead of rich or lean by the seat of the pants.

If you can get to Boise, Idaho we can dyno it for you. $100 for the time with a local guy. We can tune it and cdsracer gets a real flat AFR across the rpm band. PM if needed...

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

Finding out what your horsepower is on a dyno and the resulant bragging rights is not really a reason to go.. Its more of a byproduct of tuning to full potential that usually results in a handfull more than you had before you went. It is also helpfull to dial in the afr to get the longest life out of the motor. A four stroke is fairly forgiving when it comes to the range that it will run and feel like it is ok by the seat of the pants, but too rich it takes a toll on the rings and if it is lean it can run hot a best and melt things at worst. With our fuel injection and the right tools like a D&M and a map builder they are tunable thru the entire rpm range which is kind of a good thing because they can be mapped perfectly to that exact motor... bad thing is that it kind of has to be matched to that motor too for best performance. With a two stroke it is more evident when they are not dialed in and a carb has less tuning variables so they are a bit of a comprimise.
Your combination is farily popular and as long as you are running something that someone has allready gotten pretty close you will probably be in a safe range but unless you dyno it there is no other way to be sure. But if you dont have the stuff to do some adjusting then there is no point in going.

With your combination you are probably somewhere in the high 40's and with some tuning would be in the 50's.
A couple hour dyno session should cost around $75 give or take $25 and when someone spends the money on a combo like yours that is a minor bit of insurance that it is right and you are getting all of what you paid for.

Hope that makes some kind of sense!
Ray

cool_dude_dotcom

#4 Post by cool_dude_dotcom »

Maybe boomer had Tim do the porting cus he said he sent it out but i dont know were.I know of some places with dynos around here dut i don't know if they can tune them I'll have to check befor i take it in, but hey, thanks for the info.

thedeatons: I'll be going to St. Anthonys in june maybe i'll swing by for some tuning

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

More than likely they would not have the stuff to dial it in or the experience, best to team up with someone that does.
Next time you have your tank off you might want to add a couple of wires to the coil wires so you can clip on the leads for the tach sensor on the dyno, just tape the ends up real good to isolate them from touching each other or ground. That will save alot of time also have all the plastic off and out of the way so you can get to and fix anything that may come up quickly. Take a small battery charger and keep in on the entire time, you can adjust between runs and they are so quick that it takes a toll on even a good battery with multiple starts and having to have the key on most of the time.
Ray

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

Really no need for the spare wires, as the blue wire in the harness on the right side works just fine. You can pull it out just enough to clip on the pickup.... June would be fine, although the sooner the better! Yah, don't take it somewhere unless someone knows Dales and the computer software.