I am a happy old man that has presents for everyone!

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

You know one of the most disappointing things that has ever happened on this web site is the loss/deletion of the many thousands of pics . There were stories of them not being lost and and just need to be found . Well that was what a year or 2 ago. So many of us moved on and replaced a bunch of lost pics in the important posts which I must say took many hours to find. Then it happened again sometime in the middle of last year.
Remember the awesome thread on pics of our quads ........gone.
Does someone have the abilty to actually fix this problem and restore the forums. Will this happen again and again. Many posts like the how to's and the dyno forum need the pics or they are pretty much meaningless.
As long as Im ranting is it possible to make a search engine that searches user names with the topic? Personaly I like the older forum as it didnt have the generic look of this one but I dont think that can be fixed.
I used to love taking and posting pics but I dont do it much anymore because I just seems like a waste of time and effort if they are going to vanish in the future.
And cripes can we get some cool smiley faces ?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

+1 I am very patient and things have worked out but sure would like everything restored.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Oh ya and can the page that comes up most of the time when you click on "view new posts" be changed to something like a pic of a hot woman or quad. That would infuriate me less than learning yet again that the administrator has enable flood control .LOL

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (wistech @ Dec 31 2007, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know one of the most disappointing things that has ever happened on this web site is the loss/deletion of the many thousands of pics . There were stories of them not being lost and and just need to be found . Well that was what a year or 2 ago. So many of us moved on and replaced a bunch of lost pics in the important posts which I must say took many hours to find. Then it happened again sometime in the middle of last year.
Remember the awesome thread on pics of our quads ........gone.
Does someone have the abilty to actually fix this problem and restore the forums. Will this happen again and again. Many posts like the how to's and the dyno forum need the pics or they are pretty much meaningless.
As long as Im ranting is it possible to make a search engine that searches user names with the topic? Personaly I like the older forum as it didnt have the generic look of this one but I dont think that can be fixed.
I used to love taking and posting pics but I dont do it much anymore because I just seems like a waste of time and effort if they are going to vanish in the future.
And cripes can we get some cool smiley faces ?

Remember when the site would go down for days at a time? The biggest issue is Web space. The only way around that is to buy more space. More space means more money per month. I believe it is set up to drop older pictures (since they take up the biggest amount of space) to allow the Web site to keep under the allowable alloted size. If it's not being done automatically then someone is doing it manually. If it's not done, you will not be able to use the site period after it reaches it's limit. The options are to buy more space & or move the site to another hosting company where space is cheaper. The other options you speak of I do not know the limitations of, so ask the owner....

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

Relating to space, I've wondered why it now says 2mb is the max upload size. Seems very excessive and a bandwidth hog. We used to have to limit pics to a few hundred kb. Not that I'm a big poster of pics, but for those that are, we should conserve and redulce that limit.

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

The only time I see the flood control warning is when I hit the view new posts more than once in the amount of time set by administrator. You can avoid that message by only hitting the view new posts link once. You must be double clicking or something.

As far as the old pics go, I think there was an issue with Harlen at ATVriders.com about getting the data off his server. Way back when, exriders.com and cannondaleriders.com were on the same server that Harlen now owns. I'm not sure if the old back ups are still on his server or if they are even compatible with our new software.

timbomoose

#7 Post by timbomoose »

This has been explained many times. Old, old pics are gone when server was changed this is before my time others are stored and will be restored when the server is upgraded. It is a space issue. The thing that hasn't been discussed before was the new larger 2mb pic. When Invision gave their server upgrade this is now the min. we can allow and eats space fast. Anyone who wants this issue resolved sooner can donate to the site. Yes it is a money issue and sorry to say I'm just trying to pay my bills which is hard enough to do. Another thing that would help is if people would pay there bills from items sent out months ago and orders that work has been done sitting on the counter for 6 months+. If people would just pay their bills and not order things unless they plan on paying we could have more space and not have to worry about this and could have cool things like t-shirts, hats, jerseys, etc. Anyone can help with the space thing by shrinking their pic's down before loading. Be patient it will get upgraded and the plan was soon and these pain in the rear issues will be a thing of the past.

SlOoT

#8 Post by SlOoT »

You can also upload your images to www.imageshack.us , it's free and your pictures will always be online.

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (timbomoose @ Dec 31 2007, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone can help with the space thing by shrinking their pic's down before loading.

This should have been said a long time ago. People want to upload full resolution pictures and it just isn't needed. The software shrinks them down anyway. Thanks for saying that Tim.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (NRath @ Dec 31 2007, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Relating to space, I've wondered why it now says 2mb is the max upload size. Seems very excessive and a bandwidth hog. We used to have to limit pics to a few hundred kb. Not that I'm a big poster of pics, but for those that are, we should conserve and redulce that limit.

Thats a good idea. It seems like the software starts downloading the image in high resolution then switches to reducing the pics size. Is that actually saving server space? Some big threads with a lot of pics can take quite a while to download.
I think thread starters should have the abilty to delete their own threads as well. A lot of the older threads are now irrelavant anyways. For sale and wanted threads should also be deleted after a few months as well. That should help with the space crisis.