Cannibal rebuild, with pictures

SlOoT

#1 Post by SlOoT »

What do you guys think ? Hopefully I will be able to make a test drive tomorrow.

ciscorc

#2 Post by ciscorc »

looks nice, good luck with the test drive.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

So clean. Mounting your air temp sensor low and in front of the radiator will help keep it away from the searing hot frame that you have it located by now.

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (wistech @ Dec 31 2007, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So clean. Mounting your air temp sensor low and in front of the radiator will help keep it away from the searing hot frame that you have it located by now.

Why does that matter? It is supposed to read the temp of the intake air, right? It is located right in front of where the airfilter will be, so what is the diff? Is there some benefit to having it read artificially colder? If so, why not extend the wires and put it up by the key or something? If you suspect a benefit to it reading cooler, have you backed up your theory with back to back dyno runs repositioning the sensor? Just askin'.

SlOoT

#5 Post by SlOoT »

Ah yes. The oil goes trough that frame member and will get very hot, right ?

I could relocate it to get a more correct reading. Maybe even zip-tie it onto the air filter. I will use a K&N with outerwear.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

[quote name='UpsMan' date='Dec 31 2007, 02:33 PM' post='182545']
Why does that matter? It is supposed to read the temp of the intake air, right? It is located right in front of where the airfilter will be, so what is the diff? Is there some benefit to having it read artificially colder? If so, why not extend the wires and put it up by the key or something? If you suspect a benefit to it reading cooler, have you backed up your theory with back to back dyno runs repositioning the sensor? Just askin'.
[/quote

Yep tested long ago during developement of the pod filter system. It's more for stable readings and protection of the sensor. Mounting it in the stock location let mud/debris get on it and give false readings as well. A long tube about 4 inches long pointed downward and in front of the radiator kept it from getting heat soaked through the body of the sensor and protected it.
Idealy inside the air filter would be prefered but you still ended up with the heat soak ,hard start problem.

UpsMan

#7 Post by UpsMan »

I see, its not about hp.

UpsMan

#8 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (SlOoT @ Dec 31 2007, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah yes. The oil goes trough that frame member and will get very hot, right ?

I could relocate it to get a more correct reading. Maybe even zip-tie it onto the air filter. I will use a K&N with outerwear.

I have mine zip tied to the same hose as you, but over by the T, and it is upright. I was told a year ago that I should lengthen the wires and move it forward to stay cooler. Now I know why.

SlOoT

#9 Post by SlOoT »

What would be the best location ? Somewhere near the ECU ?

Sand_Blaster

#10 Post by Sand_Blaster »

No offense but I'm glad you didn't stuff a big ol' KTM motor in this one. Looks clean, keep up the work.