Oh boy a new toy

cannondale27

#71 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats a good excuse to keep the Big'uns off!Ever notice women seem to hang in pairs of one Big nasty one and one hot one?Now you can just explain situation and get the hot one laugh.gif

J. Delaney

#72 Post by J. Delaney »

My DRZSM gets 60mpg in town and 65 up in the twisties. I've checked it a couple of times and it's always in that range.

wistech

#73 Post by wistech »

Bikes on their sides.

Well we have been hammering the Hooligan riding every night. I racked up 250 miles in town in the last week and a half. I rode down my first flight of stairs at a ski hill. Looks like Tony was the first to drop his bike. We were running along a river bank trail and he got a little out of control on the grass and ended up dropping it . Helmet cams will be needed soon. I met up with Tony a day later coming down a hill. I let the rear tire screech and was having so much fun/laughing I forgot to stick my foot out in a parking lot as I came to a stop. The bike got away from me and I did a nice tuck and roll . The bark busters did their job and nothing but the bar touched the ground.LOL I got the 505 out of the ST Anthonies and on the bench to change the cam timing so hopefully the stock motor will be retired before it blows chunks.
I really need to wash the Dale because its starting to look kind of nasty. The headpipes have now started to turn colors.
Heres a good one. My vin number ends in 12 and the engine number ends in 13. Does that mean an engine in the 03 year was swapped out even before it got into the teens?

wistech

#74 Post by wistech »

Must be having to much fun as I ran out of fuel last night after we split up to go home. Luckily I made it over the bridge in town and coasted within a few blocks of the all night gas station. Bikes sure push easier than quads. LOL
It only took 2 gallons to get it full again. Are the 03 fuel tanks that small? Maybe my suction hose just doesnt go to the bottom. I will investigate when i put the big motor in it. I think I will also install a reserve system as well. Feeding the monster will for sure drain the tank faster than the stock slug.

Canniboomer

#75 Post by Canniboomer »

With a curved rigid tubing in the tank for a burp mod, it will purge most the rear airpocket as the tank fills up. Without that, and if you filled without hoisting up the front end, you may have a large air pocket in the high rear. Or you can fill once,....... then ride a wheelie, and then add more fuel. But maybe the guy already had the burp mod in your tank?

If your tank bottom curves down around the left of the shock rezzy, you have the larger 2.6 gallon tank. But I recall the S440 kept with the X440 tank version, for less weight I guess -- that one is around 2-gallon-ish, and has a uniform flat bottom over the shock rezzy. I have never verified the capacity of either one.

wistech

#76 Post by wistech »

I burped the tank by picking up the front end and sloshing and it did take a half quart more but it looks like 2 gallons is it.
No big deal just need to fill up every night before going out. 50 to 70 miles is a good range between fills for in town riding. a reserve of just a pint would be all thats needed to get to any fuel station though.LOL

As far as having the burp mod I would say no. The bike has only a couple of tanks of fuel through it since new and hasnt been ridden in years.

J. Delaney

#77 Post by J. Delaney »

My DRZ only has about a 2 gallon tank. I usually fill up at around 100 miles and have only managed to run it down to the reserve once.

Wistech, you might find that your fuel economy will increase with the big motor. It'll need a lot less throttle input to go even faster than the stocker. You can also adjust your gearing to get the revs down to a more acceptable level while cruising down the hwy with out sacrificing much on the bottom end.

NRath

#78 Post by NRath »

Sounds like you're definitely having a ball. I felt the same way for the first couple months, but I was hitting the dirt every chance I could. I haven't done much for hooligan street riding, though. I'm going to have to look for some steps to try.... I'm pretty much stuck riding solo. I've spent too much time at work the last month and have only been able to enjoy the commute.

As for mpg's, my DRZ-S gets 52 if I stay on the street in commuter mode- no interstates. If I hit the dirt for a bit the mpg's drop to about 45. It's got an IMS tank that's good for just over 3 gallons, so I go about 150-160 on a tank. Reserve is definitely a must have! The tank is clear and quite a blessing because you can see the gas level w/o pulling the cap.

Much like a Z400, the DRZ is a pooch, imo. I'd like to line it up with a Cannibal on the street- it would be a good race. It's got an FCR-39 and Yosh pipe, so I imagine it's a good bit more peppy than a stock one. It'll pull the tire easy in 3rd, 4th is pretty tough. I was able to hit 96 mph and may be able to get 100 if I weren't on a short stretch of country road. The guy I bought it from got a KTM 525, it's obviously a lot quicker than the DRZ. But, I won't be tearing my junk apart for a rebuild in a year!

So, where else would I need skate wheels to protect the pipe? It about smacked the ground the other day- I could've pinched out a diamond if the coal were in the right place! blink.gif

jesshamner

#79 Post by jesshamner »

Nrath, do you have passenger pegs on your DRZ-S? I saw one on ebay that had them. I was just curious if that was aftermarket or custom fab.

J. Delaney

#80 Post by J. Delaney »

NRath, your carb is the source of decreased fuel economy, but it's good for about 5 hp over the BSR36. If you find you need a little more juice, pop in a set of Hotcams stage 1 and take 2 layers out of the base gasket and head gasket. I took PV and squish measurments and there is plenty of room. With the added duration of the more aggressive cams the compression ratio won't be too high to run pump gas. You'll like the results, I gaurentee it!

And yes, the passenger foot pegs are standard issue on the S and SM models.