Caught the Cannibal on fire yesterday.

jinx44

#1 Post by jinx44 »

I have decided my bike hates me. lol

I tried starting it last week while it was very cold outside. It coughed and backfired several times, then stopped attempting to hit. I knew the plug had fouled. So saturday I took it to a friends house and pulled the plug and cleaned it while we were smoking some pork butts, then rode the bike around some. Yesterday afternoon I started it and drove it on a trailer and hauled 1.5 miles back to my house.

As soon as I got there, I tried starting it again and it wouldn't fire. Thinking the battery might be low, I threw the charger on it and it would hit then just crank. I had a can of ether close, so I gave it a quick squirt on the cyclone filter mounted on the TB. I heard it backfire, then started seeing white smoke come out of filter. I hit the starter button again to continue cranking and HOPE it pulled the air away from the obvious fire that had started in the filter. After a few seconds, I realized that trick wasn't working so I made a run to find the nearest container and water hydrant. After an additional trip to get more water, I was able to finally get it all extinguished. Luckily it was soon enough that the fuel lines or tank did not get burned through.

I walked away disgusted and haven't started pulling it apart to access the damage. So far I can tell it will need a new key switch, kill switch, wiring harness, filter of course, black plastic tank cover, and it also melted the front fenders around the filter. Soon I will pull it all apart and see what else is messed up.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Are you sure when you and your friend were smoking butts that it didn't impair your judgement? LOL laugh.gif

If it ran at your friends house, my guess is that something is going bad in the fuel system. As far as the fire damage, make a list and post it we can all try to see what we have laying around to get you back up and running.

I had similar hard start problems for ever. Only to find out that in one case it was the TPS sensor, in another the IAC valve was sticking and most recently a bad fuel pump (different bikes). The fuel pump was going bad and it ran, just not right.

WARNING: Take it apart after the high wears off from smoking all of that butt! ohmy.gif

jinx44

#3 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Dec 29 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you sure when you and your friend were smoking butts that it didn't impair your judgement? LOL laugh.gif

They were a pain in the *** to smoke. We couldn't keep them lit. laugh.gif

I am thinking the IAC could have been part of the problem. I have seen cold weather affect their operation too many times in automobiles.

I got this thing running in August I believe, and its on its 3rd piston since then. Now the fire. I guess it doesn't like hauling my fat *** around. lol

NRath

#4 Post by NRath »

So the fire was in the throttle body? Or it backfired and caught the handlebar area on fire?

That blows, dude. You've definitely got some bad mojo there! You know if you fix it and sell it, it'll last the next guy for 10 years with no problems!

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

Jinx, I have some silver front plastic for you free, just meet me somewhere.

jinx44

#6 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (NRath @ Dec 29 2008, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the fire was in the throttle body? Or it backfired and caught the handlebar area on fire?

That blows, dude. You've definitely got some bad mojo there! You know if you fix it and sell it, it'll last the next guy for 10 years with no problems!

It caught the foam filter on fire (cyclone setup), then the flames rose up around the handlebars.

QUOTE (speedracer @ Dec 29 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jinx, I have some silver front plastic for you free, just meet me somewhere.

I appreciate it man. I have a set of silver as well (infact I have a set in all 4 colors). Luckily I had the red plastic on it that I don't care much about. Just threw them on for the winter because I know how easily plastic can get damaged in cold temps. If my FX plastic was on it, I would be pissed.

67z400

#7 Post by 67z400 »

Man, you have some luck with that bike. Hope it gets fixed soon.

ljdbn

#8 Post by ljdbn »

I know that I'm somewhat of a CDale rookie...but I had a similar problem once, where the airbox slips down over the TB, the hose had worked loose but was still making contact w/ the TB, (hard to see while still all together) but it was leaking air intermitently, it would run then quit, backfire while cranking and eventually caught fire before I finally caught it. I know it sounds simple but for me, seems to be the story of my life........cause: ended up being, my youngest son hit a tree dead center, didn't hurt the bike, but somehow loosened up that connection. If, when you tear it down and find you need something, let me know, I have been stocking up on Ebay.....

Jim

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (jinx44 @ Dec 29 2008, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have decided my bike hates me. lol

I tried starting it last week while it was very cold outside. It coughed and backfired several times, then stopped attempting to hit. I knew the plug had fouled. So saturday I took it to a friends house and pulled the plug and cleaned it while we were smoking some pork butts, then rode the bike around some. Yesterday afternoon I started it and drove it on a trailer and hauled 1.5 miles back to my house.

As soon as I got there, I tried starting it again and it wouldn't fire. Thinking the battery might be low, I threw the charger on it and it would hit then just crank. I had a can of ether close, so I gave it a quick squirt on the cyclone filter mounted on the TB. I heard it backfire, then started seeing white smoke come out of filter. I hit the starter button again to continue cranking and HOPE it pulled the air away from the obvious fire that had started in the filter. After a few seconds, I realized that trick wasn't working so I made a run to find the nearest container and water hydrant. After an additional trip to get more water, I was able to finally get it all extinguished. Luckily it was soon enough that the fuel lines or tank did not get burned through.

I walked away disgusted and haven't started pulling it apart to access the damage. So far I can tell it will need a new key switch, kill switch, wiring harness, filter of course, black plastic tank cover, and it also melted the front fenders around the filter. Soon I will pull it all apart and see what else is messed up.

Umm plz stay away from me,I have enough problems wit out your bad karma. LOL tongue.gif

Kuma

#10 Post by Kuma »

Jinx,
you may want to concider changing your name laugh.gif