Fillin the trailer- what'll it haul?

NRath

#1 Post by NRath »

I'm considering buying a used enclosed trailer. It's a 16' Haulmark. The exact width isn't known, yet. I assume they're pretty standard at about 7'- but that's the part that really matters. I know the wheels are outside the trailer box- no wheelwells on the inside. The catch is that it has the Escape package- some footage at the front is taken up with cabinets, microwave, refrig, toilet, and shower. The pics make it look like 6-7' are used for that. Assuming I've got enough length to get 2 side by side, I'm wondering if I can stand 4 quads up in the back with their wheels facing the walls or something. Loading the last one would be tough, if it's even possible. I'm thinking at the worst I may have to take the front tires off the last one to get by the top of the door (or maybe the bumper). The manual says our quads are about 44" tall. I'm sure that's with some suspension compressed as it sits on all 4's. 44+44=88=7'4"... Sounds pretty snug... Maybe turning the handlebars down would be enough.

We've got 2 full size and 2 mini's right now and that'll fit with no problem. But down the road, those mini's will turn into full size, too.

Anyone ever tried it? I've seen some creative loading on here! This thing would be great for the races when I'm only hauling one or two or camping w/o the quads- just the bikes. But I need to be able to get 4 to make it do-able.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Hey, wanna buy Ryan's old trailer? smile.gif

Mine has a 6' ceiling and I can stand one up on its but and it clears the top barely. The catch isn't the height of the trailer its the width of the trailer and the height of the quad. We had to take the front shocks loose on both quads in order to squeze it up against the wall closer to make room for another quad behind it. Then just strapped em down. Don't have to take the shocks off, just the top bolt to allow the arms to go higher.

moto440

#3 Post by moto440 »

not bad but how much are they looking to get for it? i have been considering some kind of enclosed trailer but it would have to be 8.5 ft wide and prob 26ft long. be a dam tight fit for 4 big quads if possible

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

Neil, if you have a 6x10 area, you can get 2 full sized quads in there sidways with about 18" left over. With that little bit of room and what looks like a nice space up by the cabinets, you should have enough for 2 full sized quads and 2 minis. Its not going to be easy and that takes some of the fun out of a good weekend. Can you not try before you buy?

Montez440

#5 Post by Montez440 »

just a thought but I look for a bigger Trailer smile.gif I am thinking of selling my '93 Haulmark Enclosed trailer 34' x 93" wide Bumper pull...Pulls great, Black, Dual Axles wire for 110 hook ups and Bench and cabinets in the front, asking $5000
must have HD1/2 w/ bags or Bigger...I use Excursion w/ Diesel and Air Lift bags

Montez440

#6 Post by Montez440 »

QUOTE (Montez440 @ Jul 22 2009, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just a thought but I look for a bigger Trailer smile.gif I am thinking of selling my '93 Haulmark Enclosed trailer 34' x 93" wide Bumper pull...Pulls great, Black, Dual Axles wire for 110 hook ups and Bench and cabinets in the front, asking $5000
must have HD1/2 w/ bags or Bigger...I use Excursion w/ Diesel and Air Lift bags

It will hold;
Rhino
and 6 quads

NRath

#7 Post by NRath »

Hey Happy and Montez, wish that was an option. The only reason she's considering this one is because of the amenities- sink, shower, and toilet. It's got a pedestal table and a camper door with screen, too. Montez, yours is too much for my 1/2t, this 16' is about all I could stomach putting behind it. I'm not looking for the extra expense of bags or anything. This one already has a weight dist. hitch, too (if we can find the bars). It seems priced pretty good at 5k considering what it is. He just gave me some dims and they added up to 18', so I'll have to see- 8'11" in the back- plenty long for 2 stood up or side to side. It's only been hauled once- sitting in the yard the rest of the time. Tires are probably shot.

I've been thinking a couple straps on the a-arms and I wouldn't have to unbolt anything to get the extra room. At 7', it's definitely not wide enough to set straight in there back to back. That stand up loading would definitely take some of the fun out of a weekend but if it works. I'm not in the market to spend anything, much less 5g. So a bigger trailer is out unless it was on ly a little bigger and the same $. I found an identical trailer in OH- he wanted 8500 obo. The big toy haulers are way to much coin and I don't have the truck to pull it. The Sequoia tows well, but I'm trying to keep it awhile without killing it, so the bigger ones are pretty much out. He will let me try it first- he's a friend, but it's an hour drive. I'm just feeling it out before I get too committed. It's also set up for AC, but no unit. I'd prolly be adding that to it for about $450. Wouldn't that be sweet at the track? Oh yeah...

NRath

#8 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Jul 22 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neil, if you have a 6x10 area, you can get 2 full sized quads in there sidways with about 18" left over. With that little bit of room and what looks like a nice space up by the cabinets, you should have enough for 2 full sized quads and 2 minis. Its not going to be easy and that takes some of the fun out of a good weekend. Can you not try before you buy?

And loading up ALWAYS takes some of the fun out of a good weekend!

speedracer

#9 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Jul 22 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, wanna buy Ryan's old trailer? smile.gif

Mine has a 6' ceiling and I can stand one up on its but and it clears the top barely. The catch isn't the height of the trailer its the width of the trailer and the height of the quad. We had to take the front shocks loose on both quads in order to squeze it up against the wall closer to make room for another quad behind it. Then just strapped em down. Don't have to take the shocks off, just the top bolt to allow the arms to go higher.

What do you use the pull your trailer?Too much for a V-8 half ton with tow package? unsure.gif

Kuma

#10 Post by Kuma »

If you don't mind unhitching the trailer you could fit one machine in the truck bed, or if you think it's a smokin deal, buy it, use it while you can with the mini's, sell it later for little or no loss and upgrade.
my $.02