Anybody use Ubuntu?

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

My old laptop has been replaced by one with a serial port for mapping so I really have no use for it. I was thinking of tryng out the Ubuntu OS on it. Anybody ever converted over and does it work better than XP? I doubt it could be worse or slower. LOL I am running the test disc right now but have not really done anything with it yet.

Crazie

#2 Post by Crazie »

I have played around with Ubuntu several times off and on. It's pretty snappy in comparison to XP, especially on older machines.

Have you ever used any of the Linux distros before? They've made a lot of changes and it's pretty easy to use them, but you may find yourself on an Ubuntu forum trying to figure out how to do simple stuff from time to time.

Other than that, have fun with it. If you are skeptical at all, try using the Wubi installer. It basically allows you to dual boot, and installs Ubuntu from inside Windows. So if you ever get tired of it, you just go to the control panel and uninstall like any other program.

The one thing I warn about, is drivers. From time to time, you will find that wireless doesn't work, or your video card isn't supported, so dual boot as a minimum just in case you lose functionality. This way you can always boot into windows to research and correct the issue.