What's happenin??

CannondaleRider

#1 Post by CannondaleRider »

What's goin' on guys..... been a long time since I've posted on here(with the exception of a couple for sale items, those don't count.)

What's new? What's the latest R&D work being done? The latest product? The latest fix? The latest breakthrough?

What about you guys? Anybody still racing?

As for me.... been out of the loop for awhile. Helped my parents out, then went back to working a lot. So between being broke, or my focus being elsewhere... The dales have been neglected lately... haven't been on a WORCS course for over a year now. I did take one down to San Felipe, BC, Mexico.. and preran RM25-RM100, Borrego wash, for this years SCORE San Felipe 250. A teammate of mine did another run on the same section(both our section, his prerun rig was out of commission)... and the exhaust had had enough when he hit the 6 foot whoops... so, thats the last the Cannondale was run. To add insult to injury, I ended up being unable to race. But, it was an experience in itself, just to PRERUN down there. Been too preoccupied to fix it since then. Won't take much, just need to do it. I need to do some riding soon, been too long.

I would like to get back into the WORCS scene, along with the local scene, again... but racing just isn't in the cards right now. To much money, when the focuses are on doing more responsible things. Maybe a year or two, and I'll be able to come back swingin'... with more reliable equipment

I need to scratch that competition itch though, but on the CHEAP. So, I am getting into Practical Pistol Shooting competitions soon. $5 dollar entry fee is a little less of a shock to the wallet... especially with handloading making ammunition cheap. Whole different world then racing, but it will be fun... and something I've always wanted to do. I carry a handgun every day, for self defense.... god forbid I ever need to draw it, the Practical Pistol stuff will sharpen my combat handgunnery skills. Never know when you may need it. Looking forward to a new sport/hobby.

On another note..... I'm sure a few of you will remember my sister, Ann Marie (aka: AMRsCdale450grl.... or something like that. And, even more of you older guys will remember Joe Rarey (aka: LapTraffic).... well... They are now married, and have a baby on the way. Yes, Laptraffic is my brother-in-law now.... small world, isn't it?

Anyways, Just figured I'd check in.... see what's new. Feels good to be back, actually.... and maybe this will give me some push to get back on the dale and go real fast!

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

I'm not sure shooting competitions are a cheap hobby either. Welcome back.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow it is a small world! Good to hear from you. Really not much has changed around here. That could be a good thing since I cant think of much in way of pending disasters that need fixing! I have been racing local Harescrambles with intention of a few TT's and Ovals if weather cools off a bit.

CannondaleRider

#4 Post by CannondaleRider »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Aug 31 2010, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure shooting competitions are a cheap hobby either. Welcome back.

Thanks! I think I can manage to keep it fairly cheap, if I stay at a local level. I mean, the handgun that would be used is my daily carry.... Reloading .45ACP for 6 cents a round keeps it cheap.... when compared to WORCS racing, at least. I'm sure it will grow in cost though.... just like my racing did. I mean, I'm already window shopping an AR-15 or an M1A and a Benelli M4 for 3-Gun Competition. Ha.

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 31 2010, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow it is a small world!Good to hear from you.Really not much has changed around here.That could be a good thing since I cant think of much in way of pending disasters that need fixing!I have been racing local Harescrambles with intention of a few TT's and Ovals if weather cools off a bit.

That's a good way to look at it. I mean, ****, I ran the cannondale for over a year without having to come here for a fix. That's a good sign. Ha. Hard to believe you build my first motor, back in '05. Time flys.

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

Yeah I did the same thing. I thought about using my daily carry also but I'm rapidly finding out that there are much better suited platforms out there. My DC is a s&w m&p compact. Its designed for DC, not comp shooting. Maybe you have a better option though.
I haven't started reloading but I have heard that you don't save money, you just shoot more. I hope you can make it work though. Comp shooting is really fun.

CannondaleRider

#6 Post by CannondaleRider »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Aug 31 2010, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I did the same thing. I thought about using my daily carry also but I'm rapidly finding out that there are much better suited platforms out there. My DC is a s&w m&p compact. Its designed for DC, not comp shooting. Maybe you have a better option though.
I haven't started reloading but I have heard that you don't save money, you just shoot more. I hope you can make it work though. Comp shooting is really fun.

Well, I'm wanting to start out in IDPA.... so I'd rather use a platform that applies to the practical sense of that particular sport... along with training/muscle memory with that daily carry. I currently daily carry a SIG P6, and will carry a 1911 ASAP.

I know I will end up shooting way more when the reloading setup is complete.... but, focusing on say, a single days competition, 6 cents per round, compared to 50 cents is pretty substantial.... I think it's just kind of a hobby in itself though, the savings aside. A lot of satisfaction to be had there.

We'll see how it works out..... there is no doubt in my mind that I will end up spending more then I currently intend. As we all do with every hobby. ha

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

I really like the idea of the IDPA competitions. I guess what they say is true..."Everything's bigger out west." ...Even their carry guns. LOL. I have been looking at 1911s but I just can't spend the money. The AR-15 is my favorite to shoot and I was better at when I first got it than I am at any gun I have shot my whole life. Its a natural feel I guess.

The shooting sports are definitely cheaper than racing. But like anything, when you start getting into gear and trying to be really competitive it gets more expensive. 3 gun is ultimately what I would like to do.

Just curious, which of the many reasons are swaying you to carry the 1911?

CannondaleRider

#8 Post by CannondaleRider »

To me, the 1911 has well proven itself. For some reason, it's recieved a bad rap on reliability. But I think it just comes from the fact that people see a $300 dollar Rock Island jam, and suddenly all 1911's aren't reliable. Same goes for magazines... stick a cheap mag in a precision weapon, of course it won't run. In reality, it's a proven, reliable, accurate weapon.

The 1911 to me just feels natural... similiar to the AR. It just feels like a natural extension of your arm. I've never been more accurate with any other handgun, then a 1911. The trigger is a natural feel as well, straight back... and it's a crisp trigger. My SIG, for example, even in single action... it's got a whole lot of take up... just the way the firing pin safety is designed. Not to mention the 10lb double action trigger pull. I still love the SIG, but for different reasons. The idea of cocked & locked carry is great as well... that's where the crisp trigger pull comes from. It scares people, but it's as safe as the operator! ha. I like the .45ACP round, so what better platform then one that Browning designed around that round?

It's a very thin weapon, especially with the size of .45 rounds. Even for it's size, the lack of bulk widthwise makes for an easily/comfortably concealed sidearm. In the waistband carry, compared to a Glock, or an XD.. there's just no comparison.

Of course, there are other things... things that don't matter in terms of it's use... but just little things. It's just a beautiful weapon... in looks, and design... it calls to me. I can't see myself owning something on the other end of the spectrum(Like a Glock, for example.. just my opinion)

.... Yeah, I love 1911's. Can't you tell? ha

jinx44

#9 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (CannondaleRider @ Sep 1 2010, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
people see a $300 dollar Rock Island jam, and suddenly all 1911's aren't reliable.

Or even better, a Llama. lol

I am not a 1911 fan though. I have owned several, including a few Colts and even an STI. Then again, I am just a plinker. If I was in serious competetion, I would probably lean towards a 1911.

I do some long range rifle shooting, and have thought about starting to compete. ATVs are much cheaper than high end rifles and scopes. lol