Cannondales big track event

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VeLIABf5Yw

From what I gather they brought 6 bikes to elkart lake for the orange rotor race. At least one was actually raced that weekend . What few reviews I found on the net most were impressed with the bikes. Are there any articles or information on this event? I know I have at least one of these bikes in the garage because I still have the number plates . I need to dig further to see if the other bike was at the event.

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

Didn't 5 of the 6 blow up that day?

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I was there. It wasn't good.

NRath

#4 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Oct 29 2011, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't 5 of the 6 blow up that day?

Seriously?!!! After the 3rd or 4th, I think it would have been time to pack them up!

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

I heard they brought 12 bikes and 11 blew up. I know mine wasn't blown. It hadn't been touched since it left the factory doors. Just a little scrapes on the bottom of the footpegs from someone who had more riding skill than I ever will. You would think if they had a catastophe it would have been plastered all over the supermoto forums.

Scooter

#6 Post by Scooter »

I was there for the whole thing and did not see one bike blow up. The raced a cdale only race on saturday with 8 bikes and every one that stayed up finished. Scott Russell and a couple of guys from Europe and a couple of US motocross racers made up the field. On Sunday everyone came back for the second race except for one of the US moto guys so they had an extra bike and asked me if I wanted to ride it. I started on pole with Russell next to me and led up the hill till they all went by me on the breaks. I did not finish last, 5th I think but a few had fallen. I had a great battle with some old roadrace guy. He is in the youtube thing, white offroad helmet and gogles. When I left every bike was still running so I do not know what this every bike blew up came from.

Scooter

NRath

#7 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (Scooter @ Nov 2 2011, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I left every bike was still running so I do not know what this every bike blew up came from.

Scooter

Well, we can all hold our head a little higher! If anybody was looking tongue.gif !

I'm glad you were able to offer the real deal, Scooter. Riding or not, I'm sure that was quite a weekend at the track! Then they put you on the seat! Awesome!!

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

So Scooter. Maybe you can make sense of this. My Tard was purchased by a guy named John Verhaagh. He lives in Portland OR. He had the bike shipped C/O Janssen motorsport in Wisonsin from the factory the week before the race. It was also labeled (MOTO SAMPLE). Was John Verhaagh a Cannondale Rep/saleman? I don't think he ever rode the bike and sold it a while later to a guy in Washington. Is it possible someone would have bought it as a demo sight unseen?

One of the racers at the event was Mark Cernicky. He was editor of Cycle World magazine. I couldn't find any reviews or stories from him online.

As far as the blown engine story, I have heard that several times from day one.

Scooter

#9 Post by Scooter »

I can't believe tha C'Dale would ship a bike early for there release at the track. The name does not ring a bell with me but it has almost been 10 years now. If your bike had a number on it from 1 to 8 then it was one of the bikes they brought from the factory. All of the bikes were for sale after the event and I nearly brought back the bike I rode. Mark Cernicky was definatly there and rode well. I think he did fall on sunday. As for the motor problem the only thing I saw was the air filter filling up with oil after a few stoppies then they would smoke a bit and puke oil but that was all taken care of and all bikes were running after the weekend. I will have to look for the pictures with me lined up next to Rustle.

Scooter

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Mark was listed as being in the prosupermotard race 2 on a Dale.
My Tard was number 3. The guy who took it home to Washington never drove it which leads me to believe he was a rep or a store owner looking to snatch up the first one. It sat for a year and then another guy bought it who only rode it once on a track practice day. Hence I got it with Im sure was the original fuel from the race. It didnt have any power but started instantly .